none
DFS Replication cause MDT to go in read only mode

Question

• Hi all

I would like to ask others if they are using DFS Replication of their deployment share to move to several sites, and if you find your deployment share wont update because something sets it to read-only mode?

what exactly set this to read-only? What are you doing to get around the problem?

Regards
    ronnie.jorgensen systems engineer
    My blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:53 AM

Answers

• Yes! Found it!

Turns out the DFR replication share is locked during replication.

The solution: set replication schedule to only replicate outside working hours/serivce window.

If that is a problem, temporarily stop the DFS Replication Service, make modifications in MDT Workbench and than restart Replication Service.

I opted for the first one...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 27, 2013 11:35 AM
  • I always disable the DFSR service when making changes to replicates files.

Likely this will solve the issue in your case as well.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:26 PM

All replies

• Also do people know that after replication, if i add in a new test task sequence then it update the whole boot image with injecting drivers etc?

Regards
    My blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

I have the exact same problem.

I used to be able to get out of it by restarting the Deployment Workbench, but today that dit not do the trick.

Wil try a reboot of the DFS server tonight. I'll keep you in the loop...

Regards,

Martin

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hi Martin

Are you using DFS replication? if so are you just using normal server shares or standalone DFS shares?

Ronnie

Regards
    My blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Yes, I'm using DFS replication, to replicate the complete deployment to our 10 branch office deployment servers.

They are server shares.

I can confirm that a reboot of the DFS server did resolve the problem (for now)...

Can anyone confirm this is a problem with MDT(2012)?

Martin

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Yes! Found it!

Turns out the DFR replication share is locked during replication.

The solution: set replication schedule to only replicate outside working hours/serivce window.

If that is a problem, temporarily stop the DFS Replication Service, make modifications in MDT Workbench and than restart Replication Service.

I opted for the first one...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin

Monday, May 27, 2013 11:35 AM
  • I always disable the DFSR service when making changes to replicates files.

Likely this will solve the issue in your case as well.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hi Martin

Do you find if you update the deployment share in a branch location that got all the files replicated into it that it inject ALL the drivers again?

Scenario is this:

1. Replicate deployment share from SERVER_A to SERVER_B
    2. Open MDT on SERVER_B
    3. Make no changes but update the deployment share

This for me starts to injecting ALL the drivers again and takes about 2 hours to finish. although i have not done anything and would expect a quick no changes needed jobbie ???

Ronnie

Regards
    My blog

Monday, June 3, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

I'm sorry, but I don't work that way.

In my scenario, I only have one MDT installed, in our HQ. The MDT Workbench is configured to open the (complete) DFS share - including my updated WIM-boot images. Any changes I make to the deployment share, get replicated at night (outside our service window). This includes the boot images. In fact, the replacted DFS shares are set to Read Only in our branch offices, so only the primary (master) DFS share is writable.

I used to have replication 24/7 between HQ and BO, but that triggered the issue discussed above, where our HQ MDT share would be read only under specific conditions. So I found the solution to be NOT to replicate during working hours. This works well for me; I only have to maintain a single deployment share form a single deployment server. My branch offices only have WDS installed and the baked boot WIM to serivce local workstations. As they reference a local site, the local DFS share is contacted to pull the Windows image.

I hope this clarifies things for you, but if you need more info on how I did this, please contace me...

Regards,

Martin

Monday, June 3, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Would you mind contacting me outside this forum? if so let me know and i will drop you an address :)

I am interested in knowing how you do this. i am guessing your DFS share is a standalone one? or like me a normal server share? just want to confirm we are on the same page.

So just to confirm are you replicating the entire deployment share from your master server? and you replicate at night just like me now. I do not like clients to go back to master server, rather stay local hence why i have the following in my bootstrap.ini

Priority=Default, DefaultGateway

[DefaultGateway]
    10.237.100.1=BRANCHA
    10.237.112.1=BRANCHB
    10.237.4.1=BRANCHC

[BRANCHA]
    DeployRoot=\\DEPLOY01\DeploymentShare$

[BRANCHB]
    DeployRoot=\\DEPLOY03\DeploymentShare$

[BRANCHC]
    DeployRoot=\\DEPLOY02\DeploymentShare$

Regards
    My blog

Monday, June 3, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

I do use a domain-based namespace. I've set up AD sites (in Sites and Services) so my clients will automatically deploy from the local DFS share. No extra information to that end is entered in bootstrap.ini or customsettings.ini.

And yes, you may contact me outside this forum. I am willing to share my knowledge. I wrote a fully documented step-by-step install guide that outlines every step I took to get this to work. Unfortunately it's in Dutch  ;-).

Please let me know how, when and where we can talk.

Looking forward to your reaction,

Martin

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi Martin

If you are online, could you could me a quick email on Rippie@spam4.me ? it is a disposable email address that will no longer work after i log out from the page :) LOL

Ronnie

Regards
    My blog

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Hi Martin

have tried to create \\DOMAIN\MDT\DEPLOYMENTSHARE and updated the MDT deployment share to use this as the deployment root. but i cant get it to work?

Clients will get an error saying "A Connection to the deployment share \\DOMAIN\MDT\Deploymentshare could not be made. Tested that the DFS share works.

Any advise?

Regards
    My blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Please open a new temporary mailbox (post it's address here  ;-), so we can contact outside this site.

I tried yesterday, but I had an appointment and missed your initial post. I'm onlin now though...

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:00 AM
  • same as yesterday please rippie@spam4.me

Thank you very much

Regards
    My blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Thanks Mr. van Bellen, this solved it for me!
    Tuesday, October 9, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Nice Stijn, glad I could help.

Friday, October 12, 2018 4:36 PM