none
After updating to Win 10 1809 I can no longer see my other private network computers from Explorer?

Question

• I've gone thru the long and exhaustive list of diagnostics to fix 1809 problems introduce by Microsoft's update.  I literally have done EVERY option from services enabling, firewall, to sfc /scannow .

The latest action I tried was "Network Reset" on ALL my 1809 computers.  This trigger a reboot and I was prompted to allow network discovery ... all good, my PCs show up, all shares intact, no problems.

Having thought the problem was solved as it worked for about 1 week, then another Windows 1809 update from Check Updates and after that update installed, rebooted, and now I'm back to square one, I can't discover any other PCs on my home network.

At this point, it's getting ridiculous ... surely Microsoft must have tested this basic functionality prior to rolling 1809 out again for a 2nd attempt ... didn't Microsoft's CEO say "it will not happen again" ... and yet, more problems with 1809 ... again!

So what the solution?  And don't tell me to wipe my drive and re-install the OS from scratch, I've already done that few times trying to solve this problem, it's NOT a solution.  

So far the only thing that sorta works is a Network Reset every week.

Obviously Microsoft have a problem here.  Any word if they're even looking into this?

Rob.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Thursday, December 20, 2018 1:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

• open windows services (winlogo + X >Run type services.msc).Check the services below.

Function Discovery Discovery Resource Publication 

Function Discovery provider host
            UPnP Device Host service 
            Computer Browser;Network Connections;Network Location Awareness

• please try to reinstall the network adapter.

open Device Manager, Right click on the adapter and select "Uninstall",click on the "Scan for hardware changes" button to search for and reinstall the correct adapter.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 20, 2018 6:17 AM
  • Travis,

Already done all that, many times as that process has been outline elsewhere.  So far the ONLY thing that works temporarily until another 1809 "Cumulative Update" happens is a "Network Reset" on all my computers.

Something in these 1809 Updates keeps messing up my network settings.

This is a major frustration point that we were promised the second go around to 1809 would be fixed.  It has NOT been fixed.  The number of threads I've found with people having the exact same problem is staggering, this clearly was NOT properly tested and once again Microsoft failed on their promise to "make it right".

Here is another example of just how prolific this problem is: 

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/119098-1809-breaks-network-browsing.html

I could literally list 1000's of links to this problem.

Rob.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

yes, as you said, many people have encountered the issue. 

We have reported the issue to our product team for further confirmation. If there is any related update, I will let you know.

I totally understand the inconvenience this issue has brought to you, and your current feeling about this issue. Your kind understanding is appreciated.

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 21, 2018 8:24 AM
  • UPDATE: 

This issue is becoming more problematic.  About every 2 days I have to keep running a "Network Reset" in order to be able to detect my other computers under "Network" in Explorer.  This present a very big problem for software I use that brings up a file open dialog and needs to be able to navigate my "Network" ... right now my network computers do NOT show (I have to keep running Network Reset to get them to show).

Oddly once I've established a connection with my software, subsequent connections seem to be working even though the PCs on my network will not show in Explorer.  So this tells me the issue is rooted in Explorer and not a security issue or network issue, but an issue specific to Explorer which I'm sure is related (same code) as applications that use the standard File Open Dialog.

Rob.

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

Notes

Network reset might set each one of your known network connections to a public network profile. In a public network profile, your PC is not discoverable to other PCs and devices on the network, which can help make your PC more secure. However, if your PC is part of a homegroup or used for file or printer sharing, you’ll need to make your PC discoverable again by setting it to use a private network profile. To do this, select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Wi-Fi . On the Wi-Fi screen, select Manage known networks > the network connection you want to change > Properties. Under Network profile, select Private.

So, I think the settings of your private network profile are incorrect. What type of your network?

Best regards,

Travis

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Next time this occurs try connecting to another PC by typing \\Target computer name (or \\Target computer IP address) in the address bar of File Explorer. If it connects the target PC will now appear under Network.

If this works my advice is to forget about the problem and always use this approach to start a connection. File Explorer remembers previous targets in the dropdown list which makes it easier. If that is not good enough you can write a simple script to "initiate" all the other PCs on the LAN but programmes (like SyncBack which I use) connecting via a full network address will not have problems anyway.

For info I have never been near 1809 on any of my PCs but have seen this Windows 10 problem appear and disappear apparently at random for a long time. Life is too short to wait for modern Microsoft to fix it. I never had any such network problems in the great days of Windows XP.

Apologies if your problem is worse - all the more reason for me to avoid 1809 as long as I can!

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:10 AM
  • Hi Travis,

I've already gone thru that process several times.  I'm NOT using Wireless, all hardwired.  All of those Network profile options are set to "Allow" and/or Password "Off".  But again, running a "Network Reset" corrects the problem for about 2 days, then the problem returns without any other changes being made to any computer on the network.

Rob.

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 5:11 PM
  • Next time this occurs try connecting to another PC by typing \\Target computer name (or \\Target computer IP address) in the address bar of File Explorer. If it connects the target PC will now appear under Network.

If this works my advice is to forget about the problem and always use this approach to start a connection. File Explorer remembers previous targets in the dropdown list which makes it easier. If that is not good enough you can write a simple script to "initiate" all the other PCs on the LAN but programmes (like SyncBack which I use) connecting via a full network address will not have problems anyway.

For info I have never been near 1809 on any of my PCs but have seen this Windows 10 problem appear and disappear apparently at random for a long time. Life is too short to wait for modern Microsoft to fix it. I never had any such network problems in the great days of Windows XP.

Apologies if your problem is worse - all the more reason for me to avoid 1809 as long as I can!

Already done the mapping of drives by manually typing in the connection path.  The mapping of drivers works fine (they will always show in Explorer), BUT, and this is an important BUT, mapped drives do NOT show up in my software's File Open Dialog and other Network computers do NOT show up in my File Open Dialog.  This makes it impossible for my software to navigate to a mapped drive or other computer on my network.

This is a BIG problem because my software needs to be able to navigate and point to my Networked PC's shares.  I've also tried executing my software "Run As Admin" that didn't make any difference.

The KEY item to focus on is that a "Network Reset" will work for a day or two or three (but has to be performed on ALL the computers that need to show up in the Network, not just one).  Both explorer and File Open Dialog work as expected.  It's important to understand that Network Reset does work for a few days, then stops working?  All machines are clean (no Virus) and most of them are very recent 1803 installs from scratch ... keep in mind they all worked fine with 1803.  It's as if Windows 1809 is restore an old network state after a few days?

It was ONLY after going from 1803 to the Windows Update where 1809 got pushed out did I start to experience this problem.

So I have NO workaround other than doing a Network Reset on ALL computers every couple of days.  Note, this is NOT in a domain, home network with several computers.  All computers are running update 1809, all computers have the exact same problem after 2-3 days.

I'm on the verge of wiping all my PC's again and installing 1803 Win10 Pro, and disabling all Windows Updates via policy editor to prevent 1809 from attempting to install.   This problem is frankly ridiculous and was supposed to be resolved in this 2nd attempt at pushing out 1809.  There are numerous reports of this very issue doing a basic google search.

Rob.

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 5:31 PM

Already done the mapping of drives by manually typing in the connection path.  The mapping of drivers works fine (they will always show in Explorer), BUT, and this is an important BUT, mapped drives do NOT show up in my software's File Open Dialog and other Network computers do NOT show up in my File Open Dialog.  This makes it impossible for my software to navigate to a mapped drive or other computer on my network.

With all my software using \\etc in the File Open dialogue works exactly the same as in File Explorer - even down to remembering previously used addresses.

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 9:26 PM
  • I found work-around I can live with, but this is definitely a serious bug in 1809.

Here is what Win10 does (did this before 1809), anything that is setup with a mapped drive will live under the context of the user ... so even though I'm the "Administrator" ... if I run any application using "Run As Administrator" compatibility option, the File Open Dialog within that applications will think the Mapped network drives are not under the same user security context and hence NOT present the drive mappings in the open file dialog.

"Run As Administrator" is apparently just misleading and not accurate since my user account is already Administrator ... it must be some "pseudo" account Microsoft use that is NOT the same a the user Administrator account.

Anyway, that story for another day, but it is related.  Regardless of whether or not my software is being "Run As Admin", I was still NOT see the mapped drives.  So after some digging I found this little gem that solves the problem (honestly can't believe no one from Microsoft remembered this fix):

add the following Registry entry:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Add DWORD (32) “EnableLinkedConnections” and set the value = 1

Once I did this, rebooted, and all my mapped drivers now show up in File Open Dialog regardless of user context ("Run As Admin") or otherwise.  And more important this works even when Win10 1809 decides it will not show other computers on my Network.  It's an effective work around I can live with, but Microsoft really need to get a handle on this bug ... end users should NOT have to be making registry entries to fix issues with 1809.

Hopefully anyone else in this situation reading this thread, this will work for them.

Cheers, Rob.

Thursday, December 27, 2018 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting here and sharing the resolution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

please assure that Microsoft is always do the best to provide good products to customers and is always trying to improve these products. 

I will watching closely to this issue, If there is any related update, I will let you know. 

Best regards,

Travis

Thursday, December 27, 2018 5:54 AM