Mapped network drive connected to our router keeps losing connection with win 7 laptop. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am having trouble with two hard drives plugged into my router and used to store and serve our photo/music/video libraries. I have mapped both drives with no problems and I can freely read/write etc on both drives. However quite regularly these connections will appear to 'drop out' with a little red x appearing over the mapped drive/s in 'My Computer'. When I click on the mapped drive, the connection is re-established immediately, the red x goes away and the folder opens and I can use it as normal. 

The issue I am having is that the connections will 'APPEAR' to drop out when they are in use. (I say appear because I can continue to browse the folder in explorer!?)

For example when I am copying say 2 or 3 large files from my laptop to the mapped drive, I might get an error message halfway through saying the network connection has been lost. I have the option to try again but even though i can browse the mapped drive, if I click try again it still says there is no connection. So I choose to skip the file. If there was more than one file left the next file will begin copying like normal and I just have to keep my fingers crossed each time that the connection will remain open long enough to get the file accross.

Why does the connection keep dropping out whilst I am actively using the mapped drive?? And how can I prevent windows 7 from disconnecting the mapped drive? 

I have tried many fixes for this including setting keepconn, autodisconnect, and adding LmCompatibilityLevel in the registry. None of these appear to change anything and I keep regularly and intermittently lose the mapped drive connections. 

Like i said they are all instantly available again by clicking on them but this is no help when it keeps killing my file transfers.

My drive path is  \\192.168.20.1\usb0_1  and  \\192.168.20.1\usb1_1

Help!!!

Cheers in advance to anyone that can solve this issue cause I've wasted 3 days trying to get the connection to my usb drives on my router to stay live 24/7 and can't find any fix online that works for me!

Karl

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Red x's don't always mean your not connected, they can mean your not authenticated. Tried clicking thru anyways. Many mapped drives always show red x's but they still work when you click on them.

Please remove all your credential on your computer then re-mapped the drive for test.

If it doesn't resolve, please insert the drive into network computer, and then re-mapped the drive to see if it be caused by physical connection with router.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Monday, April 14, 2014 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:01 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to run the following fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684/en-us

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Yes - (see above) - ' I have tried many fixes for this including setting keepconn, autodisconnect, and adding LmCompatibilityLevel in the registry. None of these appear to change anything (the behaviour, I mean) and I keep regularly and intermittently lose the mapped drive connections. '

This article explains perfectly what is happening to me, although I don't seem to have a "server side" or a "computer" to run some of the server side fixes (nb I have still tried them all on the client side anyway) 

This is because the networked drives are attached to my router and not another computer. All the server side fixes seem to need a computer to run them or they tell you to - do this or that on the server side. THow can I apply server side fixes to my router?? Anyway my router seems to be set up and functioning correctly as everything works aok except for the fact both the mapped connections keep dropping out. (even when I am using them ie transferring files.

Again I reiterate there seems to be an ARMY of frustrated Win 7 users out there experiencing similar issues. This is really annoying as I bought the router (and drives) specifically for the 2 usb ports that would allow me to move all my media to two external networked drives and make my libraries available anytime for all my devices. 

What a complete waste of time and money when windows prevents me from using my router with attached storage as intended.

I can tell you all now I don't think anyone on the planet can solve this issue for me and  thousands of other disgruntled users. The proof of this is the endless forums dating way way back and still there is no fix from microsoft.

Why does this connection keep dropping out???? How come it is happening when I am actively using the connection???? I am at my wits end.

• Edited by dajackal007 Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Red x's don't always mean your not connected, they can mean your not authenticated. Tried clicking thru anyways. Many mapped drives always show red x's but they still work when you click on them.

Please remove all your credential on your computer then re-mapped the drive for test.

If it doesn't resolve, please insert the drive into network computer, and then re-mapped the drive to see if it be caused by physical connection with router.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Monday, April 14, 2014 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:01 AM