ERROR: adfs/services/trust/2005/usernamemixed but everything works RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

recently I updated my whole ADFS farm including the ADFS Proxy Servers from Windows 2012R2 to Windows 2016. I also rised the functional level to ADFS 2016.

Since then, I receive the following eventlog every 10 seconds on my WebApp (ADFS) proxies:

The federation server proxy was unable to complete a request to the Federation Service at address 'https://<my federation server>/adfs/services/trust/2005/usernamemixed' because of a time-out. This might mean that the Federation Service is currently unavailable.

User Action
    Verify that the Federation Service is running.

I did some research on the Internet regarding this error, but nobody seems to have the same kind of issue. In other posts it was written that I should check if the corresponding endpoint is enabled. I double-checket that, and it is enabled. Also disabling and re-enabling didn't help:

The interesting part is that it has no impact for the users. I have no complains about users with logging in to the system. Maybee somebody has an idea where this could come from?

Thanks, Martin

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Martin,

Got same with my setup, error is not so frequent, but is there. We use LB in between, i have a feeling that when request sent to primary ADFS server and package is being used from WAP1 server, then error received.

Or we need open port 49443 traffic to pass through for user certificate authentication, even if it is not used, but possibly it is required... Will open case with Pro support, maybe they have some ideas.

Best regards,

Oscar

Monday, November 26, 2018 6:43 AM