none
MS Project Don't utilize resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have done a schedule using MS project 2010. I have put the smiliar resources as one resource considering the maximum unit n00% where n is the number of resources. Even i use this approach the resources didn't get fully utilized across the project duration. I have tried to manually utilize the resources but i found it very difficult and time consuming task. Are there any ideas regarding this in order to get with a large schedule where the resources are utlized as much as possible. 

Maged

Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Maged,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

I know of no Project Management program that will take the resources you have and fiddle the tasks to ensure maximum employment, and Microsoft Project is no exception.  You can certainly ,as you have done, create a generic resource of n personnel.  It is up to you to create the schedule according to logical relationships and then to assign the number of resources you need for each task.  You can then use Project's Resource Leveling abilities to give you a solution - not necessarily the best solution or cheapest or most economic, but A solution.  It does this by delaying tasks until resources are available to work on them - nothing more.  If the solution it provides is not good enough, you will have to change the allocation of resources yourself, re-level and repeat until you have a workable schedule that meets your demand.  Project has an intelligence of zero and relies on the project managers to provide the necessary.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP (97-11)
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

On top of Mike's perfect advice please consider the following.

I your eresources are not fully utilized that is because you didn't allow Project to load them. When for instance you enter a link between tasks Project will by no means make the sucessor start earlier than the predecessor's finish EVEN IF THE RESOURCE ON THE SUCCESSOR IS AVAILABLE MUCH SOONER. Think of the unthinkable - all tasks can start at the start of the program. I'm sure Project will overload your resoruces, and Resource Leveling will do a pretty good jobgetting away with overallocations, leaving resources smoothly and (nearly) fully loaded. But when you have to spread the tasks over time for whatever reason, Project can no longer reschedule earlier and resouces may be overutilized.

Give Project the maximum of flexibility, it will give you a maximum of well-loaded resources.

Greetings,

Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Maged,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

I know of no Project Management program that will take the resources you have and fiddle the tasks to ensure maximum employment, and Microsoft Project is no exception.  You can certainly ,as you have done, create a generic resource of n personnel.  It is up to you to create the schedule according to logical relationships and then to assign the number of resources you need for each task.  You can then use Project's Resource Leveling abilities to give you a solution - not necessarily the best solution or cheapest or most economic, but A solution.  It does this by delaying tasks until resources are available to work on them - nothing more.  If the solution it provides is not good enough, you will have to change the allocation of resources yourself, re-level and repeat until you have a workable schedule that meets your demand.  Project has an intelligence of zero and relies on the project managers to provide the necessary.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP (97-11)
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

On top of Mike's perfect advice please consider the following.

I your eresources are not fully utilized that is because you didn't allow Project to load them. When for instance you enter a link between tasks Project will by no means make the sucessor start earlier than the predecessor's finish EVEN IF THE RESOURCE ON THE SUCCESSOR IS AVAILABLE MUCH SOONER. Think of the unthinkable - all tasks can start at the start of the program. I'm sure Project will overload your resoruces, and Resource Leveling will do a pretty good jobgetting away with overallocations, leaving resources smoothly and (nearly) fully loaded. But when you have to spread the tasks over time for whatever reason, Project can no longer reschedule earlier and resouces may be overutilized.

Give Project the maximum of flexibility, it will give you a maximum of well-loaded resources.

Greetings,

Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:09 PM