none
Stumped at why this start up GPO won't run

Question

• I'm trying to deploy at .bat file to remove an old citrix ICA client form about 1200 machines.  I have the batch file on the server, and believe I have the permissions set correctly.  I made the GPO, applied it to my test group and ran gpupdate /force.  However it doesn't seem to work.  When I run gpresult I verified that it is applying the GPO, and just to test it I put a restart command in there.  When the computer starts up, I log on it restarts so I know it's accessing the program.  But I'm at a loss as to why the batch file isn't being executed and uninstalling the program.  Like I said, if I go to the share and run it, the program is uninstalled just like it's supposed to be.  I'm really at a loss here as to what I'm doing wrong, or whats not working. 
    • Edited by adml_shake Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• ok you say you think your permissions are correct? startup script runs as system, can you run this as system you'l need psexec tools and psexec -s cmd to test. curious how the restart kicks in but worth a try 
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:16 PM
  • Okay I ran psexec.exe \\it-02 \\srv1\software\citrix\uninstall_client.bat -s and it launched the installer with out a problem.  But still seems to not be working through the GPO. 
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:40 PM
  • > Okay I ran psexec.exe \\it-02
    > \\srv1\software\citrix\uninstall_client.bat -s and it launched the

Not this way... From an elevated commandline, run "psexec -s cmd.exe".
    And in THIS prompt, try to access your UNC path.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Okay ran that command, then ran the command to run the program from the UNC path and again it seemed to have kicked off with out an issue.  However this time I noticed that the ICA client didn't uninstall. 
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 5:14 PM
  • So it doesn't run as system. Which startups scripts do.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 5:24 PM
  • No thats just it, the script runs, but just doesn't work I guess.  I run it as a user or in the login GPO settings and the script will run fine.  However doing it as a computer GPO and it runs but fails.  I'm baffled. 
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:03 PM
  • what does event viewer tell you?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:30 PM
  • > form about 1200 machines.  I have the batch file on the server, and

Please share the file contents...

Batch has serious issues when invoked on UNC paths - it sets the working
    directory to the directory where cmd.exe is located.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:24 AM