none
Group Policy does not deploy default printer RRS feed

• Question

• I am running 400 HP t5540 thin clients (Windows CE6.0/no HDD) in 9 locations. They connect to one of 10 Windows 2008 Terminal Servers using Microsoft's Load Balancing feature. There is a networked printer in each location. The thin client workstations in each location are in their own OU. I have set up each Terminal Server as a print server and have installed the printers for each location on each Terminal Server. I have deployed the printers through Group Policy and have created a group policy setting the default printer for each OU.

My problem is:

When a user logs on, he sees every printer in each location. In addition, he sees 10 copies of the printer pertaining to his OU (i.e. TS1/CAMQ, TS2/CAMQ, etc).

The other problem is the default printer is always set to Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

How do I set the default printer? For example, if the Load Balancer directs the connection to TS3 for a user in the CAMQ OU, I want only printer TS3/CAMQ to appear and to be automatically set as the default printer for that session.

One other thing I should mention is that these thin client stations are for public use and are logged off and logged on dozens of times each day. They are set to kiosk mode which means they always log on with the same profile (username and password) but may be directed to a different terminal server depending on the load.

Any help will be appreciated.

April 8, 2010: Has anyone encountered this or a similar problem before? Any ideas?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:32 PM

All replies

• Have you tried using scripts to assign the printers per terminal?  A logon script can be written and applied to each terminal account.  We used to do this with our exam rooms that were using WYSE winterms and dedicated printers. 

Ryan Blackerby
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:42 PM