MOM Question for new FCS installation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Every morning I find dozens of computers in MOM Admin Console “Pending”approval for a MOM agent uninstall.  I always decline the uninstall. What’s up with that?

KirkJ

Thursday, November 1, 2007 10:15 PM

All replies

•  

MOM maintains several lists, including: agent managed machines and computer discovery rules.  When a computer checks in for the first time, it is put into Pending Action-Approve installation.  At which time either an administrator can manually approve or FCS will auto-approve within an hour.  Regardless of approval mechanism, a computer discovery rule for that machine will also be created.

The pending-uninstall action occurs when MOM does its computer discover process(by default once a day @ 2am) and finds that there is an agent managed computer without a discovery rule.  It assumes that you have purposefully deleted the discovery rule because you no longer want to manage that machine.  If you have the option “automatically install, uninstall, upgrade agents set” (default I believe) it will actually try to communicate with that machine and uninstall the MOM agent.  Failing to do so may generate errors in the application log(just in case you see those as well)

Find the machine names that are appearing as pending-uninstall look for a corresponding discovery rule.  If not you should be able to create one.  After which when you choose to decline uninstall they should not come back.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Thanks! I know there are 2 computer labs with sequential names that keep showing up in the Pending Action list for "agent un-install" .  I'll make sure they have a proper discovery rule.  I my ignorance I probably created the rule that discovered those computers then deleted it because I thought it's job was done.

Thanks again,

Kirkj

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:13 PM