Explorer Address Bar & Changing Windows Theme Glitch RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Coming from Windows XP I have enjoyed W7 so far with some minor issues, but overall my outlook is positive. However, there were two things that irked me and I was wondering if they have been mentioned yet.

1.) The Windows Explorer Address bar has a really odd way of showing the path. When you click on it you get something more traditional (ie: C:\Program Files\Microsoft) however I have found no option to just use this. I have checked the Folder Options but there's nothing there. Am I missing it? If it's not there I'd really like to see at least an option for it.

2.) I noticed that whenever you change a theme in windows programs minimized will maximize themselves. It seems rather silly to do this. Afterall, I'd think you'd want to see desktop to notice the changes you've made. Has this been addressed?

Thanks.

-Ry
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:28 PM

Answers

• 1.) The Windows Explorer Address bar has a really odd way of showing the path. When you click on it you get something more traditional (ie: C:\Program Files\Microsoft) however I have found no option to just use this
    It's a feature, called "breadcrumbs", which lets you go up/down the directory tree by clicking on the folder names ;)

Regards, Kristaps.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:13 PM

All replies

• hi!

in windows explorer, when trying to access the address bar, you might want to hit the traditional alt+d, or just simply click on the image/icon on its left
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:35 PM
  • 1.) The Windows Explorer Address bar has a really odd way of showing the path. When you click on it you get something more traditional (ie: C:\Program Files\Microsoft) however I have found no option to just use this
    It's a feature, called "breadcrumbs", which lets you go up/down the directory tree by clicking on the folder names ;)

Regards, Kristaps.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:13 PM

• 2.) I noticed that whenever you change a theme in windows programs minimized will maximize themselves. It seems rather silly to do this. Afterall, I'd think you'd want to see desktop to notice the changes you've made. Has this been addressed?

I do not have similar issue on my test computer. Does the issue still persists in Clean Boot? If so, could you please let me know the detail steps to re-produce the problem?

Thanks.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:08 AM
  • PastramiOnRy,

I cannot duplicate this either. So here come the questions:

1. What video card do you have?
    2. What driver for said video card?
    3. Which version of Windows 7 are you using?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 6:13 AM
    Answerer
  • PastramiOnRy,

There is a way to disable the 'breadcrumbs' feature, however the option is only available in the 'Classic' theme.
    If you switch to the classic theme, then go into 'Tools' and 'Folder options', then go to the 'View' tab, there is a checkbox for 'Display the full path in the title bar (Classic theme only).
    Some people do not like it, and I personally have mis-clicked and end up having to use the back button and re-select what I was after, which is slightly annoying. On the whole, however, I find that it's interactions are pretty easy to navigate through (as long as I don't mis-click).
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:36 PM
    Answerer
  • dwolters, that option won't do what you think it will. It displays the full file path in the title bar, not address bar.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Vistaline,

Oh. Right. That's why it says 'title' bar in the option. duh (at me). Sorry. Nevermind.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:36 PM
    Answerer
  • PastramiOnRy,

Did you ever figure out the windows maximizing on theme change issue?
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:12 AM
    Answerer
  • PastramiOnRy,

Did you ever figure out the windows maximizing on theme change issue?

No I did not, but when changing the theme the behavior that I experienced before I do not anymore. Perhaps is was fixed in an update? Or maybe it was just an isolated issue?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 5:17 PM