Display problems. RRS feed

• Question

• I am running the beta in dual boot on a Athlon 64 3200 with 1Gb ram, GeForce 7300 video card with 256meg.

Install recogized the card as GeForce 7300 WDDM, but is having trouble with the monitor.  Every time I turn off the monitor the only way to get back in to windows is to reset.  The monitor won't get a signal even after the usual move the mouse etc.  I have also noted that when I turn off the monitor I get the audio sound for a removed device, and on turning it on I get the sound for added device, just no signal to the monitor. I updated with nVidia's beta drivers 88.61 with no change.

I dual boot to XP and there are no monitor problems from idle/monitor turn on.  Any ideas?  I asked a Energize IT today, and the problem had been heard of, and they thought there was a solution but they couldn't find it then for me.  They thought it had to do with windows display detection.  I can't figure out how to disable it without disabling all hardware detection.

Another display problem I'm having in with 32bit colour and using the screen capture in Onenote 2007 (windows key + s).  The screen shrinks and the colours are messed up even after inserting into Onenote.  I notice the screen looks like this when ever I get the UAC prompts as well. (when it grays out except for the UAC prompt, the prompt appears fine, the colours etc everywhere else are messed up.

I hoping there is a fix for this, as testing Vista is very limited without being able to leave it running and get back after turning the monitor on.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 4:34 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem with my monitor.  I went into the BIOS for the motherboard and there is a setting to for auto detect graphics card.  I turned it off from auto and manually set it to PCIe and I have not had any problems since.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 1:27 PM
  • Thanks Clarkworld for the suggestion.

Well, I checked my BIOS settings and they are fine.

I also disable my screen saver/auto to welcome screen and forced my refresh rate in the display properties from 60 to 72Hz.  My active from monitor on problem is now gone. (Not sure if it's the refresh rate or the screen saver, will check later tonight)

But my other problem of the garbled display using the snipping tool or when the UAC dialogs open is still present in 32bit colour.  This problem disappears in 16bit colour but I then don't get the fancy Aero effects.  I have no problems in XP with any of this in any colour range.  The links below show what I see and capture in 32bit mode:

http://www.trjednie.com/bgimage/1.jpg

http://www.trjednie.com/bgimage/2.jpg

Any other suggestions??

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:37 AM
  • i know i had to move my refresh rate up to 75 hz before my screen would stop flickering or flashing when UAC kicked in, at 75 it is not nearly as bad

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:51 AM
  • Seems since disabling the screen saver and the return to welcome screen works 90% of the time, otherwise it's a reset for me.  I've tried other solutions, I'm chalking it up to a driver issue for my Nvidia 7300 video card, although no such problems exsist in XP.

I guess I'll wait for even newer drivers to come out. It makes it difficult to get things done with Vista, after coming back an hour or 2 later, and having to wait for reboot.  And a quick note that this is a problem both with the bundled vista driver and the beta driver on Nvidia site (88.61).

The other problem of a messed up display in 32 bit colour resolves with switching to 16bit color, but I lose all of the nice features of Vista aero.  I have done a temporary fix of using a program called reschange, and making 2 shortcuts on the desktop to quickly change between 32bit and 16bit color. Still not ideal, hopefully fixed with updated drivers.

Last question, can anyone tell me if I can shut off monitor detection.  I think this is part of the resume from monitor off problem.  Is there a registry setting I can tweak to stop this forced detection. Again, no problems with XP.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 8:51 PM
  • I have the same card and am also having issues. I can't use the dvi output unless I go into safemode. The VGA works but it crashed when I try launching any full screen applications.

I don't think the beta drivers are working correctly.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 11:43 PM
  • Well first of all, it is always better to use a driver wash to get rid of the first driver before installing a new driver, as some drivers conflict with the old ones,

Friday, January 5, 2007 3:55 PM
  • 3DGuru has a newer nvidia driver that I have been using with very few problems.  I run a 6600 w/256mg and never had any issues with it.  I believe the version is 97.17 or there may be a newer one

Glenn

Friday, January 5, 2007 6:07 PM