Is it possible to demote Root Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Because our business changed caused we must restructure Active Directory Infrastructure and now i need helping from experts here.

Our AD structure currently have 3 site, Site A, B and C.
    With Site A - Main office, in this site we have 4 Domain controllers with 2 domain (Root Domain xyz.local & branch domain xxx.local)
    With Site B - Branch office, only 1 domain with 2 domain controller here named yyy.local
    With Site C - Branch office, only 1 domain with 2 domain controller here named zzz.local

So the question i want to ask here that is it possible demote Root Domain xyz.local and after that separate Site A, B, C (remove all forest). Each domain now will independent autonomous by their administrator. We does not need to use Root Domain anymore, when demote Root Domain, is it will affect to branch domain and its will function properly after demoted Root Domain.

How to do it, which step i need to do first. I very appreciate to whom answer to me this question.

Thanks
    Jimmy
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hello,

to get you correct, forest root domain xyz.local and 3 separate domains xxx/yyy/zzz.local created in the forest xyz.local? If this is correct you cannot demote the forest root domain at this moment.

If you have the need to complete each domain to it's own youhave to use ADMT to migrate them to there own domain FIRST, after all is migrated then you can remove the forest root domain.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Jimmy Lam Monday, February 22, 2010 3:12 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

to get you correct, forest root domain xyz.local and 3 separate domains xxx/yyy/zzz.local created in the forest xyz.local? If this is correct you cannot demote the forest root domain at this moment.

If you have the need to complete each domain to it's own youhave to use ADMT to migrate them to there own domain FIRST, after all is migrated then you can remove the forest root domain.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Jimmy Lam Monday, February 22, 2010 3:12 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 2:41 PM
  • that is the way which i working, used ADMT to migrate domain. Thanks Meinolf Weber
    Jimmy
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:14 AM