Windows 7 shortcuts disappearing... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I am having issues with Windows 7 shortcuts disappearing from users’ desktops; the shortcuts are delivered via group policy to the public\desktop folder on the machines, the problem is that when group policies are refreshed on the machines, most of the shortcuts randomly disappear from the desktops!, If I check on the public\desktop location, the shortcuts are there, but they just don’t show on the desktops…

I found a couple articles that talk about configuring the Max Cached Icons in order to resolve this problem…

…but they mention 2 different ways to setup the Max Cached Icons registry key so I am confused, I would like to know where I could find documentation on how I can configure this registry key, valid data ranges, etc..

PS . Forgot to mention…pressing F5 makes all the shortcuts to reappear on the desktops… : ( : (

Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hello! I was able to resolve this issue by changing the target path used in the gpo to deploy the shortcuts to the desktops; I configured the policy to deliver the files to %DesktopDir% instead of %CommonDesktopDir%... I wonder if there is a limit # of shortcuts/icons that can be published to the public/desktop folder in W7...

Thanks for the help! :) :)

• Marked as answer by Pinkydoo Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see:

Icons change incorrectly in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2396571

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hello! I was able to resolve this issue by changing the target path used in the gpo to deploy the shortcuts to the desktops; I configured the policy to deliver the files to %DesktopDir% instead of %CommonDesktopDir%... I wonder if there is a limit # of shortcuts/icons that can be published to the public/desktop folder in W7...

Thanks for the help! :) :)

• Marked as answer by Pinkydoo Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:59 PM