User Profile Service service failed the logon? RRS feed

• Question

• So i'm trying to fix my cousin's  windows 7 Home premium laptop and the problem is this "User Profile Service service failed the logon message"

So just to give a quick summery of things. There were three accounts total on the laptop

Admin(belongs to his sister) Standard(his account) and a guest account. His account and the guest account are the two that won't work. 

I've tried to restore the laptop to a previous working state, but that doesn't seem to help.

I've tried to logging into the admin account in safemode and editing the registry, changing the corrupted S-1-5 file to .bak/ changing the state and Refcount value to 0 , but still nothing.

I even tried making him a new admin account, but even that account doesn't allow me to log in normally. However, i can log into that account using safemode, but i get a Location is not available error (C:Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop

Note: I've seen videos where the S-1-5 files have two identical file names and simply by changing one to .bak  it seems to fix the problem, but for me there are two  different file names with each belonging to my cousin and his sister's accounts

I'm completely at a lost here? Any help would be really appreciated. 

Friday, January 5, 2018 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

One S-1-5 file identify a user account on the device, so it is normal that you have two different file names. You can use the command to know each SID of the user account:

wmic useraccount where name='username' get sid

The error "a Location is not available error (C:Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop" can be fixed by following the reference https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-c-windows-system32-config-systemprofile-desktop.808717/

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

Then perform a clean boot to disable the third-party software conflict:

From the below reference, you can delete the SID from regedit, and delete the user profile from the System Properties.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

Then reboot and login with the new admin account. If it still can't login,please provide the error message.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any updates, please feel free to contact me.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 10:45 AM