Requirements and impact of Skype for Business Server 2015 on Exchange 2010 environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been tasked with providing technical advise to the project regarding the impact of implementing Lync 2013 and/or Skype for Business Server 2015 in our current Exchange/Lync Server 2010 environment.

What I need to know is this:

I 1. Is Lync 2013 supported with Exchange 2010? Is it recommended? Are there and caveats or points of concern/consideration?

-         2. Is Skype for Business Server 2015 supported with Exchange 2010? ? Is it recommended? Are there and caveats or points of concern/consideration?

-         3. Do both (Lync 2013 and Skype for Business Server 2015) solutions have an On-Premise only option? Our organization is not really cloud minded.

Does anyone know the answers to these questions or can direct me to a resource?

The Microsoft Sites I’ve searched do not provide the exact details mentioned above. They just mention how great it is.

Timotatty

• Edited by TimTTY Friday, November 27, 2015 11:35 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2015 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Yes fully supported. It's not non-recommended, but naturally the latest Exchange version would be more preferable if you had the option of choosing between the two. No concerns with Exchange 2010 per say, but you should consider whether the extra features you get from using Exchange 2013 or later are important to you; Unified Contact Store, High-Resolution Photo's, Lync Archiving Integration, etc.

2. As above.

3. Both can be fully deployed on premises.

Kind regards
    Ben

If you find a post informative, please mark it so using the arrow to the left. If it answers a question you've asked, please mark the thread as answered to aid others when they're looking for solutions to similar problems or queries.

• Edited by Ben Donaldson Sunday, November 29, 2015 6:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Monday, November 30, 2015 2:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by TimTTY Monday, November 30, 2015 7:11 AM
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Yes fully supported. It's not non-recommended, but naturally the latest Exchange version would be more preferable if you had the option of choosing between the two. No concerns with Exchange 2010 per say, but you should consider whether the extra features you get from using Exchange 2013 or later are important to you; Unified Contact Store, High-Resolution Photo's, Lync Archiving Integration, etc.

2. As above.

3. Both can be fully deployed on premises.

Kind regards
    Ben

If you find a post informative, please mark it so using the arrow to the left. If it answers a question you've asked, please mark the thread as answered to aid others when they're looking for solutions to similar problems or queries.

• Edited by Ben Donaldson Sunday, November 29, 2015 6:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Monday, November 30, 2015 2:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by TimTTY Monday, November 30, 2015 7:11 AM
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

What's more, both Lync Server 2013 and Skype for Business Server 2015 have On-Premises, Online and Hybrid solution. If there is no Online planning, you can just deploy Lync Server\Skype for Business Server On-Premises environment and it is the most function solution than Online solution.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 30, 2015 2:44 AM
  • I know this is answered, but I am in the same situation. 

Exchange 2010 Version 14.3 (Build 123.4)

SfB latest build

Everything works correctly except creating SfB meetings, all documentation points to Exchange 2013 powershell scripts. How can I get it to work with Exchange 2010?

thanks

Mark Steinbach

Friday, December 11, 2015 3:39 PM