none
how to disable ie10 spellcheck via gpo RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

i'm currently preparing an upgrade from ie9 to ie10. while it is generally quite annoying due to microsoft finally abandoning the old ie maintenance and switching over to gp preferences which are wonderfully buggy, the most annoying part is that it seems impossible to disable the spell check 'feature' through gpo.

even better, even if the system and ie language preference are set to another language, the spell check seems to default to english (USA).

and after an hour or two of digging through the group policies and googling around (seems like no one else has problems with that behaviour) i'm definitely ready to ask for help.

so, anyone here who already solved that problem (or at least has been able to set a default language)?

cheers

Monday, August 5, 2013 1:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

From your post, I know that you would like to disable IE10 spellchecker feature by GPO.

First we have easy way to disable it in UI:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/264311-internet-explorer-10-ie10-spelling-correction-enable-disable.html

NOTE This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

You can also refer to following links to see if they would be helpful:

Internet Feature Controls (S..T)

Part: Spellcheck and AutoCorrect Support

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee330735(v=vs.85).aspx#spellchecking

Ask the Directory Services Team

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2007/08/14/deploying-custom-registry-changes-through-group-policy.aspx

Keep post.

Kate Li TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:06 AM
  • hi,

ah, ok, i knew the way of disabling it per gui, but as i'm rolling it out for 600 users i'm reluctant to leave it enabled by default, especially if it doesn't work correctly (would be different if the addon would default to the actually used language instead of us-english).

distributing a reg-key through gpo's might not be the most elegant way, but it should suffice.

(after testing it on a machine:)

seems like it does work. the suboptimal part is that it does not correlate with the checkbox of the addon setting, so there is no way for the user to enable it if needed, even if the key is just applied once. it can also be only disabled or enabled, but it's not possible to set a language preference through those registry settings.

so as feedback, it would be nice for the future to get the spell checking feature included for example into the language settings in ie settings, that way it would be easier to find as well as changeable through group policy preferences.

but thanks for the quick answer!
    • Proposed as answer by RoarSk Monday, March 17, 2014 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:03 PM
  • her is what i did useing GPO Pref:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "SpellChecking"=dword:00000000

Monday, March 17, 2014 9:10 AM