none
Resource allocation doesn't assign work on certain days even though they are available RRS feed

• Question

• I use Project Professional 2013.

I have an issue with a project where, after running resource allocation for a specific resource, it 

Monday, October 31, 2016 11:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It might be due to many reasons. The first one being a task or project calendar. Also the allocation or the contour might have been updated manually. You might have automatic leveling enabled. Finally the task might have a constraint or a dependence.

There might be other reasons. Try first to check for any particularity on the task then on the leveling settings.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:24 AM
  • I checked the task and the calendar and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. It is an auto schedule task.

The only strange thing I found  was that when I deleted the task, it gave me a warning message "this task has values reported on it. Do you want to delete it?". This was strange, as the actual hours and % complete are zero. 

So why does MS Project say there are/were actual hours?

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:07 PM
  • HFprojects

Does it have an Actual Start date?

John

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:22 PM
  • Thanks for the responses. The answer to the question "does it have an Actual start" is No.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

It seems like something is not right on your task.. If there is not actual, I'd try to remove the resource from the task and assign it again to see if it helps. If it doesn't and if you don't have any other resource assigned on the task, remove the entire task and recreate it.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:02 AM
  • I often delete and recreate tasks and this usually resolves the problem.

In this case it was not immediately apparent that work hadn't been assigned for three days. We only noticed it when the due date of a subsequent task looked unrealistic.

It is a bit puzzling as to why these problems happen in the first place.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 12:48 PM
  • Here is another example from the same project plan.,  with the priorities on the left hand side

. It completed task priority 805 but instead of going to 803, it went to 800. In the middle of 800 it jumped to 803 and then went back to 800.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:03 PM