Microsoft Update Installer RRS feed

• Question

• We use windows XP SP2/SP3. We have to create images of OS and apps for many different hardware platforms. Our automated build process turns on automatic updates for windows. Now that we are changing our anti-virus from Symantec products to Forefront Security, we need to have Microsoft Update on and running on the client in order to get Forefront Client Security Updates. We were looking for solution that would set Automatic Updates to go to Microsoft Updates in lieu of Windows Updates. Presently we have to manually launch Windows Updates and then select Go on first screen to have Microsoft Updates installed. Looking for installer if availible.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi.  I'm looking into the same issue for our organization.  I'm hoping that by replying maybe it will grab someone's attention?

To be clear, the issue that's being brought up here relies on the distinction between Windows Update and Microsoft Update.  The latter being the "add-on" (so to speak) that causes Windows to get optional updates to other applications, such as Office and SQL.

Even in Windows 7 I see no clear way to automate turning on Microsoft Update, which through the GUI requires me to

- Open Windows Update in the control panel
    - Click settings
    - Click a link that opens IE
    - Click Install, which opens Windows Update again
    - Close the IE window that left itself open...

That's a slow and cumbersome process to expect users to accomplish, and it's highly valuable to automate it.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by smadge Monday, March 9, 2015 3:47 PM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, you may do this using the Group Policy settings. Please navigate to: [Administrative Tools\Windows Components\Windows Update\Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation], and specifies whether Automatic Updates should automatically install certain updates that neither interrupt Windows services nor restart Windows.

If the status is set to Enabled, Automatic Updates will immediately install these updates once they are downloaded and ready to install.

If the status is set to Disabled, such updates will not be installed immediately.

Note: If the "Configure Automatic Updates" policy is disabled, this policy has no effect.

FCS Definitions are created such that they fit into the immediately installable category.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:05 AM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

This information is useful, but not what we are looking for now.

We need a means whether thru an executable or registry changes that turns on Microsoft Update on a system, prior to the system going out over the internet or joining a domain.

When we build our current images, we are required to build them out with OS and Apps as if there were 'new out of box".

Our final configurations are done after the machine joins and domain and the domain user logons.

Since our images have so many different configuration changes and different domains, we try to keep the basic build/image as common as possible.  Now with forefront we have to have Microsoft Update on in lieu of Windows Update.  we are wanting to do this prior to any of our final configurations.

Hope this clarifies what we are trying to accomplish.  Many Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Hi.  I'm looking into the same issue for our organization.  I'm hoping that by replying maybe it will grab someone's attention?

To be clear, the issue that's being brought up here relies on the distinction between Windows Update and Microsoft Update.  The latter being the "add-on" (so to speak) that causes Windows to get optional updates to other applications, such as Office and SQL.

Even in Windows 7 I see no clear way to automate turning on Microsoft Update, which through the GUI requires me to

- Open Windows Update in the control panel
    - Click settings
    - Click a link that opens IE
    - Click Install, which opens Windows Update again
    - Close the IE window that left itself open...

That's a slow and cumbersome process to expect users to accomplish, and it's highly valuable to automate it.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by smadge Monday, March 9, 2015 3:47 PM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:10 PM