none
Sophos is causing consistency checks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just upgraded to Sophos 9.7 and it seems to triggering a lot of constancy checks. Here are some examples of the errors I am seeing.

The following alert became inactive at 8/10/2011 9:38:21 PM.
    The replica of C:\ on aplssi.rrimm.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for this data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check.
    Changes for  C:\ on aplssi.rrimm.com cannot be applied to \\?\Volume{3c9d2e57-dcaf-11dc-b7b6-806e6f6e6963}\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\savxp\.
    For more information, open DPM Administrator Console and review the alert details in the Monitoring task area.

The following alert became inactive at 8/10/2011 9:37:34 PM.
    The replica of C:\ on aplfsii.rrimm.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for this data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check.
    Changes for  C:\ on aplfsii.rrimm.com cannot be applied to \\?\Volume{630f901b-9fc6-11da-9ce4-806e6f6e6963}\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\savxp\.
    For more information, open DPM Administrator Console and review the alert details in the Monitoring task area.

It seems to not like the cache. How can I except this from all my backups? Any idea what I can tell Sophos so they can work around this issue?

Best wishes

Michael

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think we need details of why DPM cannot apply changed to that directory - but in the meantime, you can exclude that folder from protection. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I have excepted that path from all my protection groups. It is a shame you have to do it from each drive and can't add a path that works for all the same paths in the group.

I woke up to 250 emails this morning reporting a Data Protection Manager crash. I could only do the except once I got in the office. I was getting events like the below.

The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Event 999:

The following information was included with the event:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'msdpm'.  Restart the DPM process 'msdpm'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>80</Seq><TimeCreated>8/11/2011 2:52:58 AM</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>ArgumentOutOfRangeException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
       at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
       at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.ROUtils.ValidateFileSpec(BackupTypeType backupType, Guid taskId, ComponentInformationType[] oldROComponents)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.ROUtils.ValidateFileSpecIfNecessary(BackupTypeType backupType, Guid taskId, ComponentInformationType[] oldROComponents)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.ROUtils.ValidateROListAndAddIfNecessary(Message msg, Guid taskId, BackupTypeType backupType, ComponentInformationType[] oldROComponents)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.ReplicaPreBackupBlock.ValidateROList(Message msg, ROListType roList, Guid datasetId)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.ReplicaPreBackupBlock.RAPreBackupSuccess(Message msg)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.Fsm.Transition.Execute(Message msg)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.Fsm.Engine.ChangeState(Message msg)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.TaskInstance.Process(Object dummy)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.FsmThreadFunction.Function(Object taskThreadContextObj)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event 4220:

The description for Event ID 4220 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

DPM writer was unable to snapshot the replica of C:\, because the replica is not in a valid state (Validity: Invalid).

Problem Details:
    <DpmWriterEvent><__System><ID>30</ID><Seq>1277</Seq><TimeCreated>8/11/2011 3:00:57 AM</TimeCreated><Source>f:\dpmv3_rtm\private\product\tapebackup\dpswriter\vssfunctionality.cpp</Source><Line>815</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><DetailedCode>-2147212300</DetailedCode></DpmWriterEvent>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Best wishes

Michael

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

The above crash occurs when a volume goes offline while CC was running and subsequently it came back online. This causes sync tasks to run and crash the engine.   Running a CC should fix that.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:17 PM