Mouse Freezes and Multi-Display shuts down RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have a multi-display set up - 3 monitors. I been using my PC for a little more than a year with no issues. Recently, for the past week or so, my mouse has been freezing randomly; sometimes at startup, sometimes a few minutes to a few hours after startup. I have no choice other than to do a hard startup. After the hard startup my PC would run fine without any problems.

Today, my mouse froze again upon startup and 2 of my monitors shut down. I did a hard startup and went about my work. About 2 hrs later, I experienced the exact same problem. I had to do a hard startup again.

This is very disruptive to my work. Pls help!
    Friday, August 19, 2011 8:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You said “mouse frozen”, I just want to confirm following with you:

1.	If you could use your keyboard on this computer when this problem occurs?

2.	Which type of interface your mouse and keyboard using? USB or PS/2?

3.	“2 of my monitors shut down” What do you mean “shut down”? Almost every monitor control the power by itself, any other device couldn’t cause it power off. Did you just mean a “black screen” issue? And what about the other monitor? Based on my knowledge, there only one monitor would display the logon screen when you using extended mode.

First we should judge that just a mouse related issue or a computer hang issue.

If your keyboard works fine when this problem occurs, it means this problem is a mouse related issue. Please understand PS/2 devices are not plug and play devices, they are recognized on start up. If you are using a PS/2 mouse, you may try to replace your mouse to solve this problem. If you are using a USB mouse, I suggest upgrade the motherboard driver and BIOS again.

In case, the keyboard stop working and all progress hang at time. This problem should be a computer hang issue. Please take following steps to troubleshot this problem:

1.	Scan virus on your computer via MSE (it’s free):

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

2.	Run Windows 7 in Safe Mode to check this problem again. If the issue disappear in Safe Mode, this problem may be caused by third party software or Drivers. You could upgrade all the drivers and preform a Clean Boot, use half and half method to find the root cause.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If the issue persists in Safe Mode please try step 3 and step 4.

3.	Use “chkdsk –f” command to check your disk.

4.	Use “sfc /scannow” to check whether this problem is caused by system files corrupted.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:49 AM