none
GPOs, Folder Redirection, and multiple Primary Computer(s)...

Question

• Hi, all- quick question. I am working with a medical office to deploy folder redirection and am mapping Primary Computers to the staff AD User accounts. Some of the staff, however, have more than one Primary Computer.

Folder Redirection has been (vanilla) configured for (a Windows 2012 R2) \\SERVER1\FR$\ and waiting in the queue. Users have been 'mapped' to their Primary Computer(s). Note- I also ENABLED the policy setting for: Redirect folders on primary computers only.

My concern is for how or what transpires if I map more than one Primary Computer to a User. For example:

1. USER1 uses HOST1 and HOST2 frequently. I add USER1 to my Folder Redirection Security Group tied to the GPO.

2. USER1 logs into HOST1 and Folder Redirection kicks in and syncs.

3. After a while, though, USER1 screenlocks HOST1 and heads over to HOST2.

4. USER1 logs in to HOST2.

It's at this point that I am concerned as to what transpires. The initial HOST1 login went well. But, with HOST2, is this data sync recognized as another Primary Computer and added to the established HOST1 synced contents? Does the synced data from the HOST1 download and populate on HOST2? Hopefully, you can see my initial confusion and unease with two (or more) hosts tapped as Primary Computers using Folder Redirection.

Any other hurdles that you good people can make me aware of would help immensely...

Regards,

bearbeatz

Friday, July 29, 2016 5:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

My concern is for how or what transpires if I map more than one Primary Computer to a User.

It's at this point that I am concerned as to what transpires. The initial HOST1 login went well. But, with HOST2, is this data sync recognized as another Primary Computer and added to the established HOST1 synced contents? Does the synced data from the HOST1 download and populate on HOST2?

>>>I have tested for this.

If you have deployed multiple primary computer for a user and configured with folder redirection. The data will sync between those multiple primary computers.

Here is an article below about how to deploy primary computer and how to verify the primary function for your reference.

Deploy Primary Computers for Folder Redirection and Roaming User Profiles

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649076(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by bearbeatz Monday, August 01, 2016 4:16 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

My concern is for how or what transpires if I map more than one Primary Computer to a User.

It's at this point that I am concerned as to what transpires. The initial HOST1 login went well. But, with HOST2, is this data sync recognized as another Primary Computer and added to the established HOST1 synced contents? Does the synced data from the HOST1 download and populate on HOST2?

>>>I have tested for this.

If you have deployed multiple primary computer for a user and configured with folder redirection. The data will sync between those multiple primary computers.

Here is an article below about how to deploy primary computer and how to verify the primary function for your reference.

Deploy Primary Computers for Folder Redirection and Roaming User Profiles

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649076(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by bearbeatz Monday, August 01, 2016 4:16 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:11 AM
  • Jay, thank you for the support. I had a feeling data from two (or more) primary computers would be synced but could not find definitive confirmation within MS TechNet how-to's and forums. Your answer provided the confidence I needed to deploy.

Stay well,

bearbeatz

Monday, August 01, 2016 4:16 PM