Line spacing not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a default style set pushed out to all computers. This works fine.

We have received a document and the style just does not work. We have line spacing set to 'at least 22pt' but in this particular document it shows much bigger.

If I clear formatting and re-assign the style the issue is still there. If I copy all the text and past as text into a new document and re-assign the style it is fine.

So the style is fine. Does Word have something where you set a 'base' size for some things. I cannot work out what is wrong with this document!

Thanks

Wrong:

Right:

Thursday, August 2, 2018 1:39 PM

Answers

• In Word jargon "style set" is short for "Quick Style Set" which is a template that holds those styles set to appear in the Quick Style Gallery of the document/template on which the style set is based.

Applying such a style set to an existing document changes the definition of the styles that are in the document to match those of in the Quick Style Gallery of the style set. It does nothing to styles that have different names.

Further, if any of the styles in the style set are based on styles not in the style set, the definition of the base style will not be changed by applying the style set.

The best way of formatting is generally the one you use that gives you the "right" result. That is, paste as plain text and reformat using styles. This may not be what you wanted to hear.

I or someone else might be able to tell you more about why with actual document samples rather than screen shots. (Your screen shots are far more informative than most that we see, but they don't let us actually look at the styles or the underlying xml.)

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, August 2, 2018 3:43 PM
  • The challenge with variable Line Spacing is that it will also depend on the chosen font. Sometimes, you have to specify an exact value for the Spacing.

Whenever you add an inline picture, you can put it in a paragraph whose Line Spacing is set to "Single."

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Thursday, November 8, 2018 8:37 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:13 AM

All replies

• Reveal formatting also show identical settings. The wrong one only gets to line 25 too.

Wrong:

Right:

Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:24 PM
  • In Word jargon "style set" is short for "Quick Style Set" which is a template that holds those styles set to appear in the Quick Style Gallery of the document/template on which the style set is based.

Applying such a style set to an existing document changes the definition of the styles that are in the document to match those of in the Quick Style Gallery of the style set. It does nothing to styles that have different names.

Further, if any of the styles in the style set are based on styles not in the style set, the definition of the base style will not be changed by applying the style set.

The best way of formatting is generally the one you use that gives you the "right" result. That is, paste as plain text and reformat using styles. This may not be what you wanted to hear.

I or someone else might be able to tell you more about why with actual document samples rather than screen shots. (Your screen shots are far more informative than most that we see, but they don't let us actually look at the styles or the underlying xml.)

Thursday, August 2, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Thanks Charles. I am happy to send over a sample document as it would be good to understand the reasons and pass them on to those who receive these documents. Or even be able to sort it without doing what we did and what you suggest.

What happened was the user went through the whole document setting the appropriate styles before realising the problem, so they basically had to start again after pasting as plain text in to a new document.

Do you have an e-mail address I can send it to?

Friday, August 3, 2018 11:06 AM
  • I support Charles suggestion to provide an example document. :-)

However, if you set the Line Spacing to "Exactly" 22 points, then does it look properly? (As I'm sure you already know, "At least" 22 points may imply that the actual spacing is larger.)

Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:49 PM
  • Hi Lanky,

If you want to share a sample file, you can consider to upload it via OneDrive, then share a link here for downloading. Please notice to protect your personal information in the document.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, August 6, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Thanks Stefan.

Yes, if we change it to exactly 22pt it looks right. We have it set to at least because sometimes we embedd images. When it's set to exactly, this prevents the image from being totally visible, whereas at least 22 is basically exactly 22 unless something taller than that is embedded.

As you will see from the this sample doc, nothing like that exists. It's been redacted. Also the value for Template property is not one of ours.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AhJRYhKerdm9gQDn1OtnYaan8xl5

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:31 PM
  • Any thoughts guys? Got another doc in today with the same problem! This one has tables and formulas so copy/pasting as text only into new document is not doable.

If I do Ctrl + A > Clear formatting, it is still wildly wrong. See:

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:46 PM
  • Cross-posted at http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/40697-formatting-line-paragraph-spacing.html.

For cross-posting etiquette, please read: http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 8:07 PM
  • The challenge with variable Line Spacing is that it will also depend on the chosen font. Sometimes, you have to specify an exact value for the Spacing.

Whenever you add an inline picture, you can put it in a paragraph whose Line Spacing is set to "Single."

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Thursday, November 8, 2018 8:37 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:13 AM