How does one report potential spam or phishing? RRS feed

• Question

• I received an odd email from hsmailer@healthvault.com, the text of which is appended below. (I'm not comfortable posting headers, but I will provide them to Microsoft on request. The headers look legitimate, but I'm not entirely convinced.)

Microsoft should know that I sign in with email. My account has never been associated with Facebook or OpenID, so I cannot fathom why I have received an email which is constructed like other spam emails I have received in the past from many different spammers/phishers.

I have no idea how to report this to Microsoft, because none of the support selections fit the situation. I could let SpamCop do my dirty work, but I'm not convinced this really is spam.

Anyone have a clue?

Rhonda Lea Fries

Thanks for using HealthVault. For several years, HealthVault has provided the option to sign in using your Facebook or OpenID account. As of May 2016, we will no longer support signing in using Facebook or OpenID. To continue to use your HealthVault account, you need to have a "Microsoft account" associated with your HealthVault account. You will then sign in with your Microsoft account username and password. If you don't have a Microsoft account, visit https://signup.live.com to create a new Microsoft account. Important: If you don't take the following action, you will not be able to sign in to your HealthVault account! To add a Microsoft account to your HealthVault account: 1. Sign in to HealthVault using your Facebook or OpenID. 2. In the upper-right corner of the screen, click your name and then click Account settings. 3. At the bottom of the page under Sign-in information, click Add or edit sign-in information. 4. Click the Microsoft icon. 5. You'll be prompted to sign in with the account credentials for your Microsoft account. 6. Once you've signed in, the Microsoft account will be added to your Account ID list. 7. Look for your Facebook or OpenID in the Sign-in information list and click Remove. 8. Click Save. 9. From now on, when you sign in to HealthVault, sign in with this Microsoft account username and password. Reminder: If you don't take this action, you will not be able to sign in to your HealthVault account after 31 May 2016. To export or print your information, sign in to HealthVault and use "Print" or "Export" in header area of the page. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Support at http://www.healthvault.com/support. Thank you for using HealthVault, The Microsoft HealthVault Team www.healthvault.com

Please do not reply to this message. We are unable to respond to messages sent to this email address. Microsoft is committed to protecting your privacy. Read the Microsoft privacy statement. Microsoft Corporation One Microsoft Way Redmond, WA. USA 98052

Microsoft logo

Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:20 PM

All replies

• HealthVault will be ending support of Facebook and OpenID sign-in options. And email was sent to those impacted users.

We don't have any idea why you received such strange formatted email. But text seems same as the one we sent.

If you already sign in to HealthVault with Microsoft account, you can ignore this email.

Takashi Moriyama | Program Manager | Windows Live ID

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:36 PM
  • Hello Mr. Moriyama,

I appreciate that you took the time to reply. I expected a "support engineer," if I received reply at all.

So it isn't spam, but I have no idea why I received it, because I always use the same Microsoft account to log in to Health Vault (and everything else Microsoft). <shrug> No harm, no foul, I guess.

I would, however, like to know how to report spam in the future. I looked for a means to do so, but I was stymied by support selections that did not fit my situation. Thus my post.

Email from Microsoft (except for the advertising) unsettles me. I've been online long enough to remember some of the more bizarre scams perpetuated in Microsoft's name, so if you all are planning to notify users of changes this way in the future, I want to be sure I can easily confirm such emails are not the work of a throwback to the 90s.

Thank you again,

Rhonda

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:59 AM