Excel automatically create .tmp file when open after close Excel, tmp file still there RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I shared a folder through network. Users group just have read or write permission only.

When user using office 2007 or office 2010 to open excel file on shared folder, it will auto create a .tmp file. By rite it will auto delete when i close excel file but the .tmp file still exit after i close excel.

It will causing problem because many users using the shared folder.

May i know how to prevent excel create .tmp file or make the .tmp file delete automatically after close the excel file.

As i know if i just assign read and write permission to user group, tmp file can not be delete when close Excel. If i'm assign delete permisison to user group, tmp file will be auto delete after close Excel.

But i just want user to read or write to folder and don't let users to delete file or folder.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:33 AM

Answers

• Hi

From your description, I understand that  you want .tmp file disappear . If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Maybe someone don’t have full control ,you need to take ownership of the folder or the file , it will be delete .tmp file automatically after close the file.

Take ownership of the related file

=============

1.      In the "Start" menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

Note:  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note 2: In Windows XP, click Start > Run, type cmd and press Enter.

2.      Type the following commands, then press "Enter" to execute them one by one. Please note the space before the command and its parameter.

takeown /f  <path>\<file name>

cacls <path>\<file name> /G administrators:F

3.      Restart the computer to check the issue.

More references:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

www.blogsdna.com/.../how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

If all user has full control rights , the .tmp file still in the folder ,please clean the virus .

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

George Blue

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:02 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi

From your description, I understand that  you want .tmp file disappear . If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Maybe someone don’t have full control ,you need to take ownership of the folder or the file , it will be delete .tmp file automatically after close the file.

Take ownership of the related file

=============

1.      In the "Start" menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

Note:  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note 2: In Windows XP, click Start > Run, type cmd and press Enter.

2.      Type the following commands, then press "Enter" to execute them one by one. Please note the space before the command and its parameter.

takeown /f  <path>\<file name>

cacls <path>\<file name> /G administrators:F

3.      Restart the computer to check the issue.

More references:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

www.blogsdna.com/.../how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

If all user has full control rights , the .tmp file still in the folder ,please clean the virus .

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

George Blue

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:02 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

I am also having the same issue with my local files. I am the owner of the folder as it is in my Desktop. Windows 
    Defender is also disabled by GPO. Have tried reinstalling Office 2013, but no luck. Please suggest ASAP.

Regards,

Harish.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 5:23 AM