Problem with Microsoft Server (Standard) 2008R2 after NIC errors RRS feed

• Question

• We are a small medical practice, apart from the usual horizontal business applications we are running an EMR and a PM system (DBMS based applications; MS SQL Server 2008R2 & Firebird).

We have 4 servers in our network: two db servers for our EMR / PM and two domain servers – one primary DC the other one the backup DC.

Last weekend I wanted to connect our network to a new ISP – As this one is working on a different local subnet (10.0.10.x vs. 10.0.1.x), I needed to move the network to that new subnet.

Before I went ahead I used the free 2<sup>nd</sup> Ethernet port on our dual adapterC to create a bridge between the two subnets to test the service.

Everything looked fine – until I broke the bridge to go ahead and tackle the subnet reconfiguration. The primary network adapter where the existing network was connected to, showed errors in the sys tray – driver problems. Looking at the IP4 configuration I saw that the gateway address of the adapter (static set up) was missing.

I de-installed and subsequently re-installed the driver. After a while the adapter error was popping up again with missing addresses in the static configuration.

I uninstalled and re-installed the driver another time. When the errors continued to pop up I removed the NIC and installed a new one. However it looks like the adapter errors had somehow damaged our PDC installation.  

Here are the symptoms:

1. Our HP network printer is not printing anymore from the server - although it looks like the job is going out properly, it does not print. (From all the other computers in the network the printer is functioning normally) Fresh installation of the printer driver did not help.
    2. My staff made me aware that our MS SQL Server 2008R2 based PM application does not start from the client computers anymore. It comes back with a “..does not have the proper credentials…” error. On the PM server itself, the application works normal.
    3. Although our EMR system (Firebird DBMS) seems to work still, some features take forever to complete. It seems it’s those features running queries on the DB, like e.g. look-up of diagnosis codes.
    4. Windows Update service is not functioning anymore. First, in control panel it takes a long time to open – then the logo on the update page is red and it’s prompting to look for new updates. If you click on the “check for updates” button a popup appears saying that:” Windows update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running….”,and suggest a restart of the server. However looking at the service snap-in, the Update service has indeed started and seems to run and a reboot of the computer does not change anything on the situation.   

I ran some superficial tests (nslookup, ping) and found problems. When I checked the PDC I found that the DNS server was down and ADS had not started properly. I looked deeper into DHCP and DNS servers and found that the previous network card address was still present, although I had configured the new NIC with a different (static) address.

(I did that because the installation dialogue would not let me use the previous address, saying that duplicate IP addresses would create network problems – despite the fact that the old NIC was physically removed.)

I manually changed the network address in DHCP and DNS and made sure that the 2 domain servers were properly listed in AD.

All three seem to work properly now, there are no error messages in the logs anymore, and the general network is functioning - but the above described problems are persisting.  

Can anybody help me with giving me an idea what the underlying problem might be  - and what approach would be the most efficient one to deal with the situation.

Does it make sense to try to repair the 2008R2 installation (if yes: how?) or would it be better to install the server new from scratch.

As mentioned earlier, we have a backup domain server. How would we handle a PDC role transition to the backup server without picking up possibly corrupted data (if it hasn’t automatically happened already). How can a newly installed server be integrated again into the domain?

I know a bit theoretically about the subject, but I never had a similar problem before. I would be really grateful for any advice.  

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:24 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Based on the complexity and the specific situation, we need do more researches. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated. If you have further information during this
    period, you could post it on the forum, which help us understand and analyze this issue comprehensively.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 9:11 AM