Renamed WSUS Server Netbios Name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After we got our Windows 2012 downstream server all setup, we had to rename the server.  So after renaming the server hostname, we recently discovered many of the PCs connecting to it have not checked in since.  In doing a little troubleshoot, I noticed that the IIS server manager still had the old name, which I then changed.  Is there any other thing to change in order for the new name to work correctly?  I think clients aren't still connecting.  And in looking at "C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\change.log" I still see the error "WSUS configuration has been changed by NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE."  

Any help would be appreciated. 

Friday, December 4, 2015 12:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Please check the configurations of WSUS server:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708545%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If issue persists, please re-install the WSUS role.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, December 29, 2015 3:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Thursday, January 7, 2016 12:21 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Take a look at the C:Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file.  Where is the client looking towards to get updates?  You should see a line like the one below:

Server URL = http://<YOUR WSUS SERVER>.com:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx

It may still be looking at the old name.  Not sure if you are using a GPO for that,but I would search your GPOs.  If you are not using a GPO, then you may just want to do a reinstall of WSUS. I have fixed many issues(for whatever reason) with a simple reinstall of WSUS, not much too it anyway.  I would recommend that you do use a GPO to control your update process.  You have tighter control, plus you can have different GPOs for desktops vs laptops or servers.

Hope this Helps. Please check as answer if you are satisfied with my response or click "Vote as Helpful". Thanks

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Please check the configurations of WSUS server:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708545%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If issue persists, please re-install the WSUS role.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Take a look at the C:Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file.  Where is the client looking towards to get updates?  You should see a line like the one below:

Server URL = http://<YOUR WSUS SERVER>.com:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx

It may still be looking at the old name.  Not sure if you are using a GPO for that,but I would search your GPOs.  If you are not using a GPO, then you may just want to do a reinstall of WSUS. I have fixed many issues(for whatever reason) with a simple reinstall of WSUS, not much too it anyway.  I would recommend that you do use a GPO to control your update process.  You have tighter control, plus you can have different GPOs for desktops vs laptops or servers.

Hope this Helps. Please check as answer if you are satisfied with my response or click "Vote as Helpful". Thanks

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:45 PM