Windows XP "Operating System Not Found" coming up after warm reboot, but NOT power up. RRS feed

• Question

• Running XP SP3 on a Fujitsu Lifebook T3010. Installed XP PRo Tablet PC Edition 2005, SP2, SP3, did Microsoft Updates. Only software installed besides Windows is Restrospect Backup client. The goal was to bring one of these machines up to be imaged for larger scale deployment. Everything looks great except that after RESTART ONLY, startup throws the "Operating System not found" error. The HD is shown in the BIOS, the Boot Order is set to HDD first, boot from ethernet is disabled. The machine is isolated, hasn't been joined to our domain. Contacted the hardware manufacturer, they suggested a BIOS update which was run successfully, but did not solve the problem. I installed the Windows Recovery Console and ran fixmbr, which completed successfully, but still did not solve the problem.

Has anyone ever seen anything weird like this before? I could understand that there's probably an obvious problem when windows won't boot, but the fact that it boots 100% normally when turning it on with the power button, but will not see the OS when using a soft restart has me stumped. Any ideas?

Monday, December 20, 2010 4:52 PM

All replies

• Take the cover for your laptop 

CMOS battery cover off if possible. Either the battery has gone bad.

Charging circuit for CMOS battery shorted.

Leaking battery. Any of these could prevent storage of CMOS memory.

What is the result of running CHKDSK /F or /R? 

Loose memory chip or random access memory might be at fault.

Was the hard drive replaced? 

Did you take the hard drive out and attempt to format within a working system?

Ran Microsofts memory check program?

Disconnected any external USB devices?

Check power supply connections?

Power supply out put?

When OS was installed. Active partition set on hard drive? More recently not required but a new hard drive might help out here.

'easy solution is to have a service center for the fujitsu check the laptops motherboard.

Hopefully this helps you out w

Friday, January 7, 2011 2:48 PM