none
Slow file transfer between client & server

Question

• Our network currently is extremely slow between servers & clients.

We currently have a Dell vrtx server and it has 3 blades. Each blade holds 3 hyper-v virtual servers. When you transfer files between the hyper-v servers within it's own blade the file transfer is absolutely fine. You get around 50 mb/s

If i transfer the same size file between vm's servers on another blade it goes down to half the speed.

However if I transfer file between a client machine & server it becomes extremely slow with a 6 mb/s speed, in some case's the connection drops to 0 and windows client machine carrys on with the transfer after a few seconds.

We currently have broadcom netxtreme network card on the physical server, if someone could point me in the right direction in how to go about diagnosing this issue. I've tried disabing the virtual machine queue on the network card but that hasn't helped. Our network traffic consist of heavy smb2 traffic so I don't know if this is something to look at.

Any help I would be grateful for, thank you in advance.

I forgot to mention, our servers are all windows 2012 r2 and our client os is all windows 10 education

• Edited by Jamal_89 Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:06 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Stu Cousins,

I looked at your suggestion, however the switches were behaving normal & I was scratching my head as it was still slow.

Got to the bottom of it, it was the virtual queue all along I was disabling the virtual queue on the virtual network adapter only but the virtual queue also needed disabling on the physical network card.

All seems to be working now.

Thank you once again, appreciated the response.

• Marked as answer by Jamal_89 Friday, April 21, 2017 11:47 AM
    • Edited by Jamal_89 Friday, April 21, 2017 11:48 AM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hi.  

Could the switch/switches the Dell is plugged into be the bottleneck?  Do you have other non-blade servers patched into the same switch/switches and, if so, do you get the same performance issues when making file transfers from those to/from client machines?

Also, is this a recent problem or has it always existed?  If recent, has anything changed do you know that could be causing this?

If SMB traffic is heavy, certainly worth considering.

• Proposed as answer by BLKP93 Monday, March 27, 2017 4:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BLKP93 Monday, March 27, 2017 4:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BLKP93 Monday, March 27, 2017 5:00 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:17 PM
  • Hi Stu Cousins,

I looked at your suggestion, however the switches were behaving normal & I was scratching my head as it was still slow.

Got to the bottom of it, it was the virtual queue all along I was disabling the virtual queue on the virtual network adapter only but the virtual queue also needed disabling on the physical network card.

All seems to be working now.

Thank you once again, appreciated the response.

• Marked as answer by Jamal_89 Friday, April 21, 2017 11:47 AM
    • Edited by Jamal_89 Friday, April 21, 2017 11:48 AM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 11:47 AM