0xc000000e Error - MBR (system) partition disappeared RRS feed

• Question

• My computer after a few days of abruptly restarting doesn't boot anymore.  I receive the 0xc000000e error, I've tried many possibilities which include bootrec /fixmbr among a few other bootrec commands, none work.  I've also went into diskpart, that too unfortunately is not solving this problem.  

There is a Windows partition but from doing the command list volume within diskpart, there is no system partition; which I think may be why none of the commands upon searching for a resolution work.  Therefore how can I fix the master boot record (mbr) so that rather then what is currently happening is the boot loader is listing Windows10 versions which I've never had installed, the computer can boot into the installed version of Windows I have installed ? 

Most of the solutions for this error I've found online I've tried and none work.  Hopefully someone knows how to fix using strictly diskpart and the bootrec commands.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:48 AM

All replies

• did you try 0xc000000e: The boot selection failed
    Are you sure your drives are even using a MBR?
    When they were partitioned with GPT: there is no MBR to fix.

"I've also went into diskpart, that too unfortunately is not solving this problem. "
    Just entering diskpart seldom solves any problem, you will need to call its commands, too.
    You can copy text from the command prompt and paste into a posting, so we can see what the partitioning is and what you tried.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 5:21 AM
  • did you try 0xc000000e: The boot selection failed
    Are you sure your drives are even using a MBR?
    When they were partitioned with GPT: there is no MBR to fix.

"I've also went into diskpart, that too unfortunately is not solving this problem. "
    Just entering diskpart seldom solves any problem, you will need to call its commands, too.
    You can copy text from the command prompt and paste into a posting, so we can see what the partitioning is and what you tried.

From what I can remember it was MBR, although I'm going to have to see if I can verify this; in the meantime here is the commands which I used which are from diskpart and bootrec.

First I select the disk in diskpart, followed by the volume.  Once the volume is selected I go to the partition where there is windows.  From there I use bootrec;

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec / fixboot

Bootrec / rebuildbcd

Is it the last command which fails, with the error; the requested system device cannot be found ? 

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 3:17 PM
  • I got the computer to boot, oddly enough diskpart showed the Windows volume partition on drive E; although after re-creating the BCD, it resorted back to drive C.  

I did a virus scan and malware scan, both came out fine; I believe the problem is related to a driver or device driver causing the issue. When I boot using safe mode and only network adapters, some things don't work but I don't have problems related to extremely slow loading times as well as upon Windows starting in normal mode, it simple won't boot into windows rather restart ?

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:57 PM
  • Repair your OS with the recovery drive

This method will also repair your OS with the command prompt of the recovery drive, and you should be able to boot into Windows without facing the issue again. Boot from the recovery drive, and follow the instructions below.

1. Use steps 1 through 3 from the previous method to get to the Command Prompt of the recovery drive.
    2. Once inside the Command Prompt, type the commands below, followed by an Enter on your keyboard to execute them. The StartRep.exe utility corrects boot environment values and should fix the BCD error. Note that you might need to repeat this step multiple times in case it fails.
    cd x:\sources\recovery
    StartRep.exe
    1. If the previous step of repairing Windows didn’t help, type bcdedit in the Command Prompt, to see the values for the Windows Boot Manager.
    2. Note the values for Device. If they are unknown, type the following commands, each followed by an Enter to execute them. Note that you should replace C: with the partition where your operating system is installed, if necessary.
    bcdedit /set {DEFAULT.EN_US} device partition=c:
    bcdedit /set {DEFAULT.EN_US} osdevice partition=c:
    bcdedit /set {BOOTMGR.EN_US} device partition=c:
    1. When the Command Prompt is done, close it, remove the recovery drive and reboot your system. It shouldn’t have any issues booting up now.
    I have a question, is it hardware or drivers or something upon booting. I can now successfully log into Windows but only in safe mode, when Windows attempts to boot in regular mode when the login screen appears which includes the background image, which we are all familiar with; that is when the computer locks up and restarts and it will occur continuously ?
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:36 PM