none
setup info

Question

• Hi,

I have 1 physical server with windows server 2012 R2 standard.

I need to install an Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, File Server, Sql express server and a Terminal server.

If I am correct I can install the hyperV role and run two virtual machines on it with my win2012r2 standard license.

So I was thinking to run Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, File Server, Sql express server in 1 VM and the terminal server in the other VM?

should I create a seperate VHDX for the data or do I put in in the VM with the file server?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:50 PM

All replies

• So I was thinking to run Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, File Server, Sql express server in 1 VM

I would not recommend mixing active directory domain service roles with sql server

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:57 PM
  • I would prefer to have a seperate vm for the SQL too but I only have two vm's available so I have to choose.

And I think it's better to assign a vm to the terminal server instead of the sql server?

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:05 PM
  • Without any knowledge of the sort of application(s) you are going to be running and the sort of load you are going to be putting on each component of the environment, it is pretty difficult to make a good recommendation.  It is considered a recommended practice to keep the DC as 'pristine' as possible.  DHCP and DNS are fairly common on DCs, so that is not too much of a concern.  File services is another thing that is regularly put on DCs, particularly in small shops.  It is not a recommended practice due to security concerns, but it is not uncommon.

Other roles/applications are generally considered taboo on DCs. As a result, if you are only going to run two VMs, you could put the SQL Server Express and Remote Desktop Services on the other VM, and hope that you are not going to stress the system to much.

tim

Friday, March 17, 2017 11:02 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:13 AM