locked
Adobe Reader DC Script error when opening or saving to sharepoint 2013 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi Everyone,

    We are getting an error with Adobe Reader DC when trying to open or save files to Sharepoint 2013.

    An Error has occurred in the script on this page

    Line: 42

    Char: 5

    Error: Unable to get property 'empty' of undefined or null reference

    Code: 0

    URL: domain.com/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?diagview=FileOpen&FIledialogFilterValue=*-pdf&location=filepath

    Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?  Yes/No

    Whatever option we press (yes/no) the error will not go away.

    This happens in the open or save window that opens within Adobe Reader DC version 2015.010.20056

    At this stage more than 1 Windows 8.1 Pro 64 systems are affected, and some of the same version systems are not affected.

    I can confirm that the open/save window on Office products (2013 word, Outlook and Excel) work fine and are not affected, it just seems to be Adobe Reader DC. 

    Please let us know how we might fix this.

    Thanks in advance.

    Monday, February 8, 2016 4:30 AM

Answers

  • Hi Everyone,

    We have resolved our issue.

    We discovered a small amount of users on our network were using Adobe Reader DC version 15.010.20056, where as the majority of our users who were unaffected were using version 15.009.20079.

    No one was having any issues with version 15.009.20079 so we have rolled back to this version and the issue is no longer present.

    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:48 AM

All replies

  • Hi Everyone,

    We have resolved our issue.

    We discovered a small amount of users on our network were using Adobe Reader DC version 15.010.20056, where as the majority of our users who were unaffected were using version 15.009.20079.

    No one was having any issues with version 15.009.20079 so we have rolled back to this version and the issue is no longer present.

    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:48 AM
  • We're getting the same message with Acrobat DC Professional and saving to a SharePoint 2007 library via Explorer View.  This started happening in January.  I'm expecting to see a similar issue with the version number.  Not sure how to get a specific version of DC and then keep it there, though.  I'll cross my fingers.  So far it's only affecting users who have Surface Pro's.  But it used to work, so the version update is likely the culprit.  I'll update this thread when we get a fix in place.

    https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/DC/dccontinuousnovember2015ooc3.html may shed some light on this.  Windows 10 update may have caused a change in the SAVE routine.

    • Edited by IT Happens Friday, March 11, 2016 11:45 PM URL with potential fix.
    Friday, March 11, 2016 11:42 PM