all my programs are opening in adobe even the system restore and the regisrty - how do I reset all programs to their originall default programs. Please help RRS feed

• Question

• all my programs are opening in adobe even the system restore and the regisrty -

how do I reset all programs to their originall default programs.

Please help.

PS I have also tried starting in save mode and still have the same problem.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:48 AM

Answers

• Thank you all for your help - but everything still open in adobe reader even internet explorer but I accesses this through the help menu and I have now paid for Microsoft to sort it and it took them a morning just to get access.

I was then able to access my computer the following morning after contacting them again to find out what was happening as it said still shutting down on my screen. I then rebooted it.

I also run a full scan afterwards and update from Microsoft essential security which I have always used. I isolated two virus which I deleted and run two more full scans to make sure my laptop was clear.

It was caused from an attachment that I could not open from my pension company.

Laptop now working normal - thank goodness

Carolineadi

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, February 2, 2015 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, February 6, 2015 7:33 AM
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 10:30 AM

All replies

• Caroline

It’s possible that your computer is or was infected by malware. I suggest you run your ‘anti’ programs, but running this should resolve the association issue where Adobe runs http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

Why do ninety-nine per cent of politicians give the rest a bad name?

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

As BurrWalnut mentioned, first please run a virus scan to eliminate virus infection (if AV program is not opened in adobe)

The files association could be corrupted in your situation, apart from the solution posted in the first reply, I also suggest you check Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set your Default Programs or Associate a file type or protocol with a progra,, manually check the association and check if it can do some help.

Add: another way to open restore point is launching it in recovery console, please refer to this guide

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/what-are-system-recovery-options#what-are-system-recovery-options=windows-7

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Yolanda Zhu Friday, January 23, 2015 2:40 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Roger Lu Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:30 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 2:38 AM
  • Thank you all for your help - but everything still open in adobe reader even internet explorer but I accesses this through the help menu and I have now paid for Microsoft to sort it and it took them a morning just to get access.

I was then able to access my computer the following morning after contacting them again to find out what was happening as it said still shutting down on my screen. I then rebooted it.

I also run a full scan afterwards and update from Microsoft essential security which I have always used. I isolated two virus which I deleted and run two more full scans to make sure my laptop was clear.

It was caused from an attachment that I could not open from my pension company.

Laptop now working normal - thank goodness

Carolineadi

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, February 2, 2015 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, February 6, 2015 7:33 AM
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 10:30 AM