Softgrid 4.5 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could any body clarify the below doubts in Softgrid4.5 RTM ?

a) What is the use of sequencing an application using command prompt? Is it best practice to do the application sequencing?

b) If the above method can be used means thenwhat is the use of Tools-->Diagnostics-->Command Window?

c) Are the above methods are different or what is the difference between sequencing using the command prompt and sequencing an application using Tools-->Diagnostics-->Command Window?

Please clarify the above doubts and also let me know some url where i can get the basic and in depth documents for Softgrid4.5 RTM?

Thanks & Regards,

S.Yuvaraj.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

these are 2 different things:

Sequencing by command prompt is for automation. You can use a script to sequence an MSI-Package with its settings more automated instead using the GUI.

By selecting  Diagnostics - Command Windows you include the launch of a C. box inside the virtuel Environment. You need that to launch other diagnostic tools like ntfilemon, ntregmon, regedit and others in the context of our virtual application,

Be aware tht virtual apps are isolated to the local OS. They are "invisible" for other apps. If you need to use diagnostic tools you start them "in the context" of an virtual app. For that reason you can include the launch of an c. box inside the "virtual bubble".

Greetings

Ralf

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:20 AM
  • Sorry, it seems that it was another person asking this same thing over at Softgridguru..

The thread, however, is here: http://www.softgridguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=3162

br,

Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:46 PM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

these are 2 different things:

Sequencing by command prompt is for automation. You can use a script to sequence an MSI-Package with its settings more automated instead using the GUI.

By selecting  Diagnostics - Command Windows you include the launch of a C. box inside the virtuel Environment. You need that to launch other diagnostic tools like ntfilemon, ntregmon, regedit and others in the context of our virtual application,

Be aware tht virtual apps are isolated to the local OS. They are "invisible" for other apps. If you need to use diagnostic tools you start them "in the context" of an virtual app. For that reason you can include the launch of an c. box inside the "virtual bubble".

Greetings

Ralf

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

As per your explaination above i am saying an example Kindly apologise and correct me if i am wrong.

Example:

there is an application called "A" that requires dependency "B". Now i am going to install the dependency "B" in the virtual box where i am going to sequence the application "A". Now if i am going to sequence the application by diagnostics --> command window means after sequencing the application " A". It wont interact wih the dependency "B" that is already installed in virtual box since application "A" . Also the sequenced application A wont work.

Am I right with the above example?

Thanks & Regards,

S.Yuvaraj.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:30 AM
  • S.Yuvaraj,

Diagnostic -> Command window (as explained to you at Softgridguru.com) is not meant for any sort of sequencing, it is only a troubleshooting / diagnostic tool (as suggested by it's location in GUI).

In your case (if I understood the explanation correctly): you install dependency application B on the Sequencer, the machine before starting the Sequencer, the tool. Then you start File -> New package, go through the motions of sequencing using the wizard. That's it, basically. Do not touch diagnostic -> command window at any point of that process!

/Kalle

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:21 AM
  •  

Hi,

Could you pls give the softgrid guru url where you have explained as mentioned in the above reply.

Also Could you explain more briefly where we willl use the Diagnostic --> Command Window(is it only used for troubleshooting?)

Thanks & Regards,

S.Yuvaraj.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:11 AM
  • Sorry, it seems that it was another person asking this same thing over at Softgridguru..

The thread, however, is here: http://www.softgridguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=3162

br,

Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:46 PM
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:05 AM