Windows 10 Build 9926 File explorer slowness RRS feed

• Question

• I have a clean install of build 9926.  When I open file explorer, it's taking a long time to display anything.  I can click on the c:\ to interrupt what it looks like is a search, I can see the drive folders. Once I lick on "This PC", it goes through another long search.  I have 1 hard drive and 1 cd/dvd drive.
    Monday, February 2, 2015 4:20 PM

Answers

• First, it doesn't work that way for everyone.  You have a specific problem.

Have you ever made a network connection?  And if so, is the network resource now unavailable?  It's possible the system is trying to reconnect it.

What shell extensions have you installed?  You may not know them as such, but shell extensions are things that augment Explorer's functionality, such as adding new menu entries to the right-click context menus.  You may have installed an application that has a shell extension that's incompatible with Windows.  To diagnose and solve this kind of problem, there's a very good shell extensions manager program called Shell Extensions Manager, by Nir Sofer.  Check here:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Lastly, as Carey implied, you can start File Explorer on a specific location, which may help work around the problem while you are trying to solve it.  You can, for example, create a desktop shortcut that runs this command line:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe  /expand,C:\

The above will cause an Explorer window to open on the root folder of drive C:.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, February 2, 2015 4:59 PM

All replies

• Click on the arrow to the left of This PC to expand the directories.  No need to click directly on the This PC icon.

Carey Frisch

Monday, February 2, 2015 4:31 PM
  • First, it doesn't work that way for everyone.  You have a specific problem.

Have you ever made a network connection?  And if so, is the network resource now unavailable?  It's possible the system is trying to reconnect it.

What shell extensions have you installed?  You may not know them as such, but shell extensions are things that augment Explorer's functionality, such as adding new menu entries to the right-click context menus.  You may have installed an application that has a shell extension that's incompatible with Windows.  To diagnose and solve this kind of problem, there's a very good shell extensions manager program called Shell Extensions Manager, by Nir Sofer.  Check here:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Lastly, as Carey implied, you can start File Explorer on a specific location, which may help work around the problem while you are trying to solve it.  You can, for example, create a desktop shortcut that runs this command line:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe  /expand,C:\

The above will cause an Explorer window to open on the root folder of drive C:.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, February 2, 2015 4:59 PM