DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE Blue Screen of Death BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

I have upgraded to Windows 7 professional from XP SP3. I have never had any blue screens while running XP except while heavily gaming (graphics driver failure).
    Now, ever since Windows 7, my laptop keeps restarting by itself at idle and even while working. I don't think its a sleep mode related error because it even happens while I am using it. Its pretty annoying as it happens quite often.
    Could someone please give some advice regarding the Dump log at the end. I have many but they are all the same (this is latest one).
    Appears to be that ntkrnlpa.exe is the culprit.

Thanks for the help, and Merry Christmas everyone

==================================================
    Dump File         : 120409-23150-01.dmp
    Crash Time        : 4/12/2009 8:17:47 AM
    Bug Check String  : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    Bug Check Code    : 0x0000009f
    Parameter 1       : 0x00000003
    Parameter 2       : 0x87385030
    Parameter 3       : 0x82b76ae0
    Parameter 4       : 0x85405cc8
    Caused By Driver  : ntkrnlpa.exe
    Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+dcd10
    File Description  : NT Kernel & System
    Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Company           : Microsoft Corporation
    File Version      : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Processor         : 32-bit
    Computer Name     :
    Full Path         : C:\Windows\minidump\120409-23150-01.dmp
    ==================================================

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:06 AM

Answers

• OK, there are no Windows 7 drivers posted on Microsoft Update for those Hardware IDs.

However there are Windows 7 drivers posted for "HP Pavilion Webcam" with the following Hardware IDs:

USB\VID_05CA&PID_1810&REV_0100&MI_00
    USB\VID_05CA&PID_1810&MI_00

What you could consider is running the following update from HP (re-enable the webcam first in the Device Manager):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-47244-1&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&product=3280472&os=2093&lang=en

This update apparently will flash the webcam BIOS and assign the webcam new Hardware IDs and install a Windows Vista, hopefully Windows 7, compliant driver.

I would suggest to uninstall any webcam drivers using "Uninstall a program" before running the update and keep in mind a "bad flash" of the BIOS of any hardware device could render the device inoperable.

Here's a link where the update is suggested for Vista, and I would believe the update should work in Windows 7 also:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=105850

Again, make sure you uninstall any webcam driver/software beforehand. 

If no drivers are listed in "Uninstall a program" then uninstall the webcam via the Device Manager and select to "Delete the driver software", and then restart the computer.

Also, see "Update 2/21: Official webcam drivers!" in the first post in the following link for more info:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=101584

• Marked as answer by mean_tee82 Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:10 PM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi mean_tee82,

Can you upload [C:\Windows\minidump\120409-23150-01.dmp] to SkyDrive?  (instructions)
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are usually caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

Please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Perform a Clean Boot to check the result. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

2. Temporarily disable all unnecessary hardware devices in Device Manager, such as Modem, sound card or external device.

For detail steps, we can refer to the link below:

Device Clean Boot

3. Run antivirus program and perform a full scanning.

Thanks,

Novak

Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Hi NoCompromise,

I have uploaded the dumps on to skydrive.
    Here is the link

http://cid-cbe300bf7d9d0b8b.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Minidump

It happened 4 times within the past 3 hours tonight, just shuts down while working. Microsoft needs to release SP1 for 7 soon..............Any help in the meanwhile would be highly appreciated.

Novak, thanks for youe input, I shall try that.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:17 PM
  • I did a virus scan few days ago, so I am sure its not an infection.

i will try the clean boot method

Thanks
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:21 PM
  • From the dump files you uploaded, analyzed with WinDbg of the Debugging Tools for Windows, the problematic driver is the 5U870CAP.sys which appears to be a driver for a Ricoh webcam.

This driver is dated June 6, 2006 and does not appear to be compatible with Windows 7.

What webcam do you have and can you obtain updated drivers that are compatible with Windows 7?
    • Proposed as answer by No.Compromise Friday, December 18, 2009 2:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, December 18, 2009 8:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mean_tee82 Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:12 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Microsoft needs to release SP1 for 7 soon
    auggy's analysis is correct. The problem here certainly seems to be the referenced driver, and not Windows 7.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:11 AM
  • Hi Auggy,

Thanks for the analysis of my dump files.

I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop which was bought in 2007, so you are bang on point, most of the drivers realeased by the turkeys at HP are dated 2006
    and they never update it. I am lucky ot have NVIDIA graphics which gets updated regularly :)

The webcam is integrated, but now that you have pinpointed the problem, I shall hunt for the latest drivers. I guess the one its using right now was automatically found and installed by Windows 7. I didnt download it off HP's website. But I shall look into it.

I am not using the webcam, should the driver still be causing problems while its not active?
    The frequency has worsened now, restarts every now and then.

Thanks for the help
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:27 PM
  • You know how laymen like me are, always ready to jump to criticise whatever is new and gives them problems :P
    I stand corrected, microsoft has done a good job, I am pretty impressed by the speed of 7. Most of the people I know have upgraded, but some do face random issues.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:30 PM
  • If you are not using the webcam you can try disabling the webcam in the Device Manager, and restart the computer, to stop the driver from loading.

BTW, in the Device Manager, if you double-click the webcam  > Details, then select "Hardware Ids"

What information is given?
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Yeah I shall disable the webcam to prevent it from loading. I don't think I can find newer drivers for it.

The device manager says "HP Pavilion webcam" manufactured by Ricoh. The drivers are dated 2006 as you said.
    Hardware ID's
    USB\VID_05CA&PID_1870&REV_0100
    USB\VID_05CA&PID_1870

Thanks guys
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 9:22 AM
  • OK, there are no Windows 7 drivers posted on Microsoft Update for those Hardware IDs.

However there are Windows 7 drivers posted for "HP Pavilion Webcam" with the following Hardware IDs:

USB\VID_05CA&PID_1810&REV_0100&MI_00
    USB\VID_05CA&PID_1810&MI_00

What you could consider is running the following update from HP (re-enable the webcam first in the Device Manager):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-47244-1&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&product=3280472&os=2093&lang=en

This update apparently will flash the webcam BIOS and assign the webcam new Hardware IDs and install a Windows Vista, hopefully Windows 7, compliant driver.

I would suggest to uninstall any webcam drivers using "Uninstall a program" before running the update and keep in mind a "bad flash" of the BIOS of any hardware device could render the device inoperable.

Here's a link where the update is suggested for Vista, and I would believe the update should work in Windows 7 also:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=105850

Again, make sure you uninstall any webcam driver/software beforehand. 

If no drivers are listed in "Uninstall a program" then uninstall the webcam via the Device Manager and select to "Delete the driver software", and then restart the computer.

Also, see "Update 2/21: Official webcam drivers!" in the first post in the following link for more info:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=101584

• Marked as answer by mean_tee82 Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:10 PM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Sure, it's understandable - after all, how are you aware there's a problem?  Windows crashes.  The webcam doesn't stop working, or anything like that - Windows crashes.

Tough situation to be in... (for Microsoft, and for the customer)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Hello Auggy,

Since my last message I had disabled the webcam to prevent driver loading, and the laptop worked perfectly, not a single BSOD.

Actually I even went and got the vista driver for my laptop from HP, which is dated 2007 (installer). The link that you have given is for a later model but its the same firmware update. So I guess till today it was running on the Vista driver and I didnt realise that the webcam driver was enabled since I updated it.

Today after reading your post, I tried to update it using Windows 7's inbuilt updater from device properties window, and it got a driver which is a month newer than the one on HP website, but is still a Ricoh driver by HP.

I guess it should be fine now.
    Thanks everyone for their help, especially you Auggy.

This topic has been SOLVED.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:10 PM
  • I have a BSOD POWER STATE DRIVER FAILURE error on shutdown.  Minidump file posted on Skydrive.  Thanks for yoour help.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:59 AM
  •   Minidump file posted on Skydrive.  Thanks for yoour help.
    you must post the link here.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:21 PM
  • sorry.  try this llink. 

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:98px;height:115px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-853d2f1c503c1ca5.office.live.com/embedicon.aspx/minidump/011011-42900-01.dmp"></iframe>

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:08 PM
  • STACK_TEXT:  
    nt!KiSwapContext+0x26
    nt!KiSwapThread+0x266
    nt!KiCommitThreadWait+0x1df
    nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x393
    WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
    SahdIa32+0x1074
    SahdIa32+0x5395

nt!PpvUtilCallAddDevice+0x19
    nt!PnpCallAddDevice+0xb9

Update this driver:

Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\SahdIa32.sys
        Image name: SahdIa32.sys
        Timestamp:        Tue Oct 28 04:55:58 2008

to fix the crashes.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:20 PM