How to delete a Section Break without loosing the format of the previous section? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know How to delete a Section Break without loosing the format of the previous section? The section break I want to delete does not have any Header and Footer and when I delete it automatically deletes the Header and Footers of the previous section.

BR

Friday, July 8, 2011 8:52 AM

Answers

• In essence you can't do what you are asking. Although Section Breaks give the impression being at the beginning of the section, they are actually at the end and contain all the section-specific formatting for what is in the section before them. When you delete a section break the section above gets merged into, and takes the properties of, the section below. Every case is different and must be treated individually; there is no magic bullet :-(

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Monday, July 11, 2011 3:40 PM

All replies

• You should tell something about the Word version you are using. This makes it easier to give detailed instructions.

In general: You can go into the header section of the last section. Activate the "link to previous" option. Confirm, that the header/footer should be replaced. After that you can delete the section and the header remains in the first section.

• Proposed as answer by mcbsys Friday, September 1, 2017 5:04 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Hello,

I am using MS Office 2007. Ok but is there any other way to do that?

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:45 AM
  • In essence you can't do what you are asking. Although Section Breaks give the impression being at the beginning of the section, they are actually at the end and contain all the section-specific formatting for what is in the section before them. When you delete a section break the section above gets merged into, and takes the properties of, the section below. Every case is different and must be treated individually; there is no magic bullet :-(

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Monday, July 11, 2011 3:40 PM
  •  

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:18 PM

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com

Actually, you CAN do what the OP is asking.

To do so, select an area just above the section break, then click File > Page Setup (or File->Print->Page Setup in Word 2010). Then click on
    each of the three tabs (don't change any settings) then click OK.

Now, click just after the section break and press F4. This will copy the formatting from the area above the section break, to the area below the section break. You can then safely delete the section break as per:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/delete-a-section-break-HA102778584.aspx

HTH

• Proposed as answer by markey165 Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:41 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:41 PM
  • "markey164" wrote in message news:a04d20d2-5e00-4b23-bfdf-a7a45eaf24ef@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Actually, you CAN do what the OP is asking.

To do so, select an area just above the section break, then click File > Page Setup (or File->Print->Page Setup in Word 2010). Then click on

Now, click just after the section break and press F4. This will copy the formatting from the area above the section break, to the area below the section break. You can then safely delete the section break as per:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/delete-a-section-break-HA102778584.aspx

For “everything” on section breaks and section formatting, and what happens as you delete section breaks, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/WorkWithSections.htm.

• Proposed as answer by Tenbob UK Friday, April 25, 2014 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Genius - thanks. That just saved me a headache!!!!
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 8:37 AM
  • You saved me an afternoon of frustration - thanks!
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:46 PM
  • I've the same problem.  This is how I work around it.  Select the footer of section to be deleted.  Link to previous.  Unlink to previous.  Delete section break.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:19 AM
  • Is it just me or this completely counter intuitive? It should be the other way around, delete a section break and it keeps the formatting from the section prior.

God damn you microsoft

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:31 AM
  • As has been discussed, deleting a Section break causes the Section preceding the break to assume the page layout of the following Section. The following macro works the other way, across multiple (selected) Section breaks. All common page layout issues (margins, page orientation, text columns, headers & footers) are addressed.

Sub MergeSections()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim sPageHght As Single, sPageWdth As Single
    Dim sHeaderDist As Single, sFooterDist As Single
    Dim sTMargin As Single, sBMargin As Single
    Dim sLMargin As Single, sRMargin As Single
    Dim sGutter As Single, sGutterPos As Single
    Dim lPaperSize As Long, lGutterStyle As Long
    Dim lMirrorMargins As Long, lVerticalAlignment As Long
    Dim lScnStart As Long, lScnDir As Long
    Dim lOddEvenHdFt As Long, lDiffFirstHdFt As Long
    Dim bTwoPagesOnOne As Boolean, bBkFldPrnt As Boolean
    Dim bBkFldPrnShts As Boolean, bBkFldRevPrnt As Boolean
    Dim bOrientation As Boolean, oHdFt As HeaderFooter
    Dim Sctn1 As Section, Sctn2 As Section
    With Selection
      If .Sections.Count = 1 Then
        MsgBox "Selection does not span a Section break", vbExclamation
        Exit Sub
      End If
      Set Sctn1 = .Sections.First: Set Sctn2 = .Sections.Last
      With Sctn1.PageSetup
        lPaperSize = .PaperSize
        lGutterStyle = .GutterStyle
        bOrientation = .Orientation
        lMirrorMargins = .MirrorMargins
        lScnStart = .SectionStart
        lScnDir = .SectionDirection
        lOddEvenHdFt = .OddAndEvenPagesHeaderFooter
        lDiffFirstHdFt = .DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter
        lVerticalAlignment = .VerticalAlignment
        sPageHght = .PageHeight
        sPageWdth = .PageWidth
        sTMargin = .TopMargin
        sBMargin = .BottomMargin
        sLMargin = .LeftMargin
        sRMargin = .RightMargin
        sGutter = .Gutter
        sGutterPos = .GutterPos
        sHeaderDist = .HeaderDistance
        sFooterDist = .FooterDistance
        bTwoPagesOnOne = .TwoPagesOnOne
        bBkFldPrnt = .BookFoldPrinting
        bBkFldPrnShts = .BookFoldPrintingSheets
        bBkFldRevPrnt = .BookFoldRevPrinting
      End With
      With Sctn2.PageSetup
        .GutterStyle = lGutterStyle
        .MirrorMargins = lMirrorMargins
        .SectionStart = lScnStart
        .SectionDirection = lScnDir
        .OddAndEvenPagesHeaderFooter = lOddEvenHdFt
        .DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter = lDiffFirstHdFt
        .VerticalAlignment = lVerticalAlignment
        .PageHeight = sPageHght
        .PageWidth = sPageWdth
        .TopMargin = sTMargin
        .BottomMargin = sBMargin
        .LeftMargin = sLMargin
        .RightMargin = sRMargin
        .Gutter = sGutter
        .GutterPos = sGutterPos
        .HeaderDistance = sHeaderDist
        .FooterDistance = sFooterDist
        .TwoPagesOnOne = bTwoPagesOnOne
        .BookFoldPrinting = bBkFldPrnt
        .BookFoldPrintingSheets = bBkFldPrnShts
        .BookFoldRevPrinting = bBkFldRevPrnt
        .PaperSize = lPaperSize
        .Orientation = bOrientation
      End With
      With Sctn2
        For Each oHdFt In .Footers
          oHdFt.LinkToPrevious = Sctn1.Footers(oHdFt.Index).LinkToPrevious
          If oHdFt.LinkToPrevious = False Then
            With oHdFt.Range
              .FormattedText = Sctn1.Footers(oHdFt.Index).Range.FormattedText
              Do While .Characters.Last.Previous = vbCr
                .Characters.Last.Previous.Delete
                If .Characters.Count = 1 Then Exit Do
              Loop
            End With
          End If
        Next
        For Each oHdFt In .Headers
          oHdFt.LinkToPrevious = Sctn1.Headers(oHdFt.Index).LinkToPrevious
          If oHdFt.LinkToPrevious = False Then
            With oHdFt.Range
              .FormattedText = Sctn1.Headers(oHdFt.Index).Range.FormattedText
              Do While .Characters.Last.Previous = vbCr
                .Characters.Last.Previous.Delete
                If .Characters.Count = 1 Then Exit Do
              Loop
            End With
          End If
        Next
      End With
      While .Sections.Count > 1
        .Sections.First.Range.Characters.Last.Delete
      Wend
    End With
    Set Sctn1 = Nothing: Set Sctn2 = Nothing
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Monday, January 26, 2015 4:45 PM
    • Edited by macropodMVP Tuesday, January 3, 2017 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:29 PM
  • It's Microsoft.

The same company that changes the Windows UI every two years to keep the impression they're doing something to improve the O.S. instead of crossing their fingers so the gaming industry don't switch to OpenGL.

They don't give a **** if you and hundreds of millions of people think that it's counter-intuitive. They too busy praying for the big companies to stick with Windows Server and the rest of the enterprise portfolio...

• Edited by Abelius Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:16 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:15 AM
  • This is completely wrong. It is possible to do it quite easily. See other posts for the corerct answer.
    Friday, April 25, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Thank you very much, it works magic!
    Monday, January 26, 2015 7:31 AM
  • If you're referring to the approach suggested by markey165 on November 30, 2011, do be aware that it does not work for the original poster's requirements, which included preserving header & footer content from the preceding Section - which may or may not be linked to the Section before that. All that approach does is to replicate the basic page layout. The macro I posted on November 06, 2013 both replicates the page layout and preserves the header & footer content from the preceding Section, plus it allows you to merge more than one Section at a time.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Monday, January 26, 2015 4:45 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 10:18 AM
  • Is it just me or this completely counter intuitive? It should be the other way around, delete a section break and it keeps the formatting from the section prior.

God damn you microsoft

It is counterintuitive. That is because of the structure of Word, itself. However, see the macro provided by macropod. It does the trick.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, January 26, 2015 4:46 PM
  • @markey165 I know this is an old thread but it worked like clockwork for me, thank you!  Saved me lots of time :)
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 1:24 PM
  • Wow - this is like magic.

THANK you so much!!!

By the way: In Word 2010 and 2013 the "Page Setup" text is blue, quite small and on the very end of the list

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Tighten it up, then it won't be loose.

Monday, July 6, 2015 10:56 PM
  • Glad it helped :)
    Monday, July 27, 2015 1:32 PM
  • I tried all the other solutions, and this one did work.  Remember that you have to SELECT  both (or all ) sections before you run the macro
    • Proposed as answer by ZHENG JC Monday, October 17, 2016 2:41 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Actually, you CAN do what the OP is asking.

HTH

This worked for me once I found the Page Setup. I'm working with Word 2007. On the Page Layout tab in the ribbon, there's a section called Page Setup. You have to click on the tiny button on the lower right side of the section, it's to the right of the words "Page Setup" and it looks like a bracket with an arrow pointing down and to the right (not a bracket on the keyboard, but the kind you use for construction). That's a horrible description, but hopefully it will help someone.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:03 PM
  • For what it is worth, you can also open the Page Setup dialog box by clicking Page Layout tab | Margins | Custom Margins. Alternatively, you can double-click anywhere on the vertical ruler or you can double-click the upper part of the horizontal ruler.

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:20 PM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:33 PM
  • OMG - life saver - thanks so much this absolutely solved this problem for me!
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:02 AM
  • The around the problem is:

Create a new section with the same configuration of the section format that you want to retain. The go about deleting all the other sections (Let the format change.) Then, in the end, delete the section you've created, all the formatting will come back to the original setting that you've wanted.

Sunday, August 6, 2017 6:38 AM
  • The around the problem is:

Create a new section with the same configuration of the section format that you want to retain. The go about deleting all the other sections (Let the format change.) Then, in the end, delete the section you've created, all the formatting will come back to the original setting that you've wanted.

Adding a page break won't suffice. Paul's macro is perhaps the easiest way to recreate section formatting. Otherwise, see https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/Formatting/WorkWithSections.htm.

Friday, December 15, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Genius!  This worked perfectly.  Thank you.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:44 PM
  • GENIUS!!!
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 11:00 PM
  • THANK YOU!!! You are awesome!! That worked for me!!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :-)

Friday, September 14, 2018 1:51 AM
  • Great answer.

Re headers and footers: BEFORE deleting the section break, to preserve the section 1 header & footer copy them and replace the section 2 Header & footer with them.

Monday, September 24, 2018 3:27 PM
  • The code I posted on November 06, 2013 takes care of all the common issues. Of the non-code approaches suggested in this thread, only Stefan's takes account of different page layouts. Like your approach, however, even that doesn't explicitly cater for a Section that has more than one header or footer and the 'link to previous' setting that may or may not apply to any of them.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:12 AM
  • Fantastic! That worked.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Legend, thank you. 6 years old and still relevant!
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 12:03 AM
  • Nothing of the above does what I want to achieve: REMOVE THE NASTY SECTION BREAK WITHOUT changing ANYTHING else. Replace it by a simple Page break.

Example: I have a Portrait page ending with a section break (I didn't put it there, of course, it came after OCR and export to Word)..., followed by a Landscape page.
    Now, I don't want all pages above to become Landscape pages, nor all pages below to become Portrait pages, I wanna keep the formatting AS IT IS, but without the disgusting section break, replace it with a page break.

Is it possible or not?

Sunday, April 19, 2020 1:24 PM
  • Nothing of the above does what I want to achieve: REMOVE THE NASTY SECTION BREAK WITHOUT changing ANYTHING else. Replace it by a simple Page break.

Example: I have a Portrait page ending with a section break (I didn't put it there, of course, it came after OCR and export to Word)..., followed by a Landscape page.
    Now, I don't want all pages above to become Landscape pages, nor all pages below to become Portrait pages, I wanna keep the formatting AS IT IS, but without the disgusting section break, replace it with a page break.

Is it possible or not?

It isn't possible in one simple step. When deleting a section break, you will always lose some section-level formatting, because that formatting is stored in the section break.

If orientation is the only thing that you lose here, the easiest solution is to leave the section break and just change the orientation for the affected section.

For all the details of section formatting in Word, see replies earlier in this thread and/or take a look at http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/WorkWithSections.htm.

Sunday, April 19, 2020 2:23 PM
  • Hi. Maybe I wasn't quite clear. I can leave the section break, yes, but I don't like it. You can't process text (that's what I do, I'm a translator and part of my job involves text processing) decently when there's a section break, 'cause everything changes if you try to move text, add text, etc., whereas if I use Page Break, everything is just perfect. So I'm stuck with these section breaks FineReader put all over the place, and I only need to use simple text, no complicated formatting (just text and tables), that's all.
    As far as I understand, based on what I read here and there, you got a section break - that's it, you better keep it as an unwanted child, OR ELSE :)

Thanks for your effort.

Sunday, April 19, 2020 6:44 PM
  • You are correct.

You cannot have both portrait and landscape pages in a single document without a Section break. Period. Word uses the section break for this purpose.

I do not know what it is you find "ugly" about a Section break.

Sunday, April 19, 2020 8:46 PM
  • What you want is simply NOT POSSIBLE. You cannot change the page orientation from one page to the next in Word without using a Next Page Section break. Period.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, April 19, 2020 9:44 PM
  • Thank you. I didn't know this, and I was trying to somehow turn the section break into a page break to do this separation. Obviously, I have to work with Page Setup to change page orientation after I make such changes, but section breaks are inevitable, to my regret. Thank you for this sad information.
    Monday, April 20, 2020 8:11 AM

• I do not know what it is you find "ugly" about a Section break.

It's not malleable. You can't move around it, put text immediately before/after it, with Page break, nothing changes above/below when you make some movement/change, with Section break, by definition, EVERYTHING changes up to the previous section, which, of course, nobody wants, so it's a downright "bug" I wanna avoid. 
    Monday, April 20, 2020 8:16 AM
  • You can't move around it, put text immediately before/after it, with Page break, nothing changes above/below when you make some movement/change, with Section break, by definition, EVERYTHING changes up to the previous section, which, of course, nobody wants, so it's a downright "bug" I wanna avoid. 

You really should spend more time learning how to use Word. Page breaks and Section breaks can both be moved - and you can insert content immediately before and after both.

The 'bug' in this case is between your chair and keyboard.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 20, 2020 9:22 AM
  • It's not malleable. You can't move around it, put text immediately before/after it, with Page break, nothing changes above/below when you make some movement/change, with Section break, by definition, EVERYTHING changes up to the previous section, which, of course, nobody wants, so it's a downright "bug" I wanna avoid. 

It is not clear what you are trying to do. Sections (and section breaks) are required if you want to modify section-level formatting, that is, page setup (= margins, orientation, paper format, vertical alignment etc.), newspaper columns, header and footer properties, page number options, footnote and endnote options.

So you can't avoid section breaks in some situations, but note that they do not affect the text flow in a more dramatic way than manual page breaks do.

With scanned documents, you usually get a lot of superfluous section breaks and text boxes. In most cases, cleaning that up will be a manual task.

Monday, April 20, 2020 11:45 AM
  • Thank you for your polite answer. I appreciate it. 
    I'm trying to make the text as processable as possible.
    For instance, there are many tables FR put right in the beginning of single pages. They're all coming after section breaks (for, really, no valid reason, it's just FineReader that decided to put section breaks there, instead of page breaks). Now, the problem is that, at the beginning of each page, I have to put my text there, right above the tables, simple text. But unlike when after a page break, where when I go in the first left-hand cell of the first column, and hit Enter, the entire table comes down, leaving 1 line free above it, letting me write/paste something on that line, with section breaks instead of page breaks before the table, when I hit enter in said first cell, it just moves the text in the cell itself, so it leaves me with no free line there above the table, for me to put my text on.
    Therefore, I don't see how "they do not affect text flow in a more dramatic way than manual page breaks do". Worlds of difference.
    As to "With scanned documents, you usually get a lot of superfluous section breaks and text boxes. In most cases, cleaning that up will be a manual task." - yeah, and that's EXACTLY what I'm doing, trying to do it MANUALLY, of course, I'm not lazy, I'm just out of resources in this case, that's why I came here and tried to find some help.
    If you happen to know some trick to work around this problem, please do share it with me.

Thank you.

Monday, April 20, 2020 6:37 PM
  • Thank you for your polite answer. I appreciate it. 
    I'm trying to make the text as processable as possible.
    For instance, there are many tables FR put right in the beginning of single pages. They're all coming after section breaks (for, really, no valid reason, it's just FineReader that decided to put section breaks there, instead of page breaks). Now, the problem is that, at the beginning of each page, I have to put my text there, right above the tables, simple text. But unlike when after a page break, where when I go in the first left-hand cell of the first column, and hit Enter, the entire table comes down, leaving 1 line free above it, letting me write/paste something on that line, with section breaks instead of page breaks before the table, when I hit enter in said first cell, it just moves the text in the cell itself, so it leaves me with no free line there above the table, for me to put my text on.
    Therefore, I don't see how "they do not affect text flow in a more dramatic way than manual page breaks do". Worlds of difference.
    As to "With scanned documents, you usually get a lot of superfluous section breaks and text boxes. In most cases, cleaning that up will be a manual task." - yeah, and that's EXACTLY what I'm doing, trying to do it MANUALLY, of course, I'm not lazy, I'm just out of resources in this case, that's why I came here and tried to find some help.
    If you happen to know some trick to work around this problem, please do share it with me.

Thank you.

The "trick" is to copy to a new document, pasting as plain text.

OCR produces documents that are extremely difficult to edit, as you are discovering. How difficult depends on both the source material and the OCR software.

Note this is a fairly old "thread" and you are really getting into a side topic, even though it may not seem like it to you. The last response prior to yours was on-topic and more than a year ago.

You are likely to get the best help by posting a new question, perhaps with a link back to this one.

Monday, April 20, 2020 6:56 PM
  • This "trick" won't do. I'm having some perfect relations with FineReader as long as I manually copy/paste each page to a word page, then I control everything, no section breaks, ever, no problem at all.
    Only problem with this is time. Sometimes I get to extract text from more than 300 pages and translate it in record time, so that's where I make this compromise of letting FR have its way...

I first came here because I thought there could be some way of putting a page break above, putting a page break below, then somehow "delete a Section Break without loosing the format of the previous section".

So I didn't think I was off topic.

Now that I know better, I won't write here anymore.

Thanks for your time.

• Edited by Funfunfa Monday, April 20, 2020 8:48 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2020 8:45 PM
  • Now, the problem is that, at the beginning of each page, I have to put my text there, right above the tables, simple text. But unlike when after a page break, where when I go in the first left-hand cell of the first column, and hit Enter, the entire table comes down, leaving 1 line free above it, letting me write/paste something on that line, with section breaks instead of page breaks before the table, when I hit enter in said first cell, it just moves the text in the cell itself, so it leaves me with no free line there above the table, for me to put my text on.

As I said, you really need to spend time learning how to use Word. Pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter at the start of any table will insert a paragraph break before it.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, April 20, 2020 10:18 PM
  • This "trick" won't do. I'm having some perfect relations with FineReader as long as I manually copy/paste each page to a word page, then I control everything, no section breaks, ever, no problem at all.
    Only problem with this is time. Sometimes I get to extract text from more than 300 pages and translate it in record time, so that's where I make this compromise of letting FR have its way...

I first came here because I thought there could be some way of putting a page break above, putting a page break below, then somehow "delete a Section Break without loosing the format of the previous section".

So I didn't think I was off topic.

Now that I know better, I won't write here anymore.

Thanks for your time.

No one is criticizing you. This question was posted in 2011 and has been marked as answered.  Older threads that have been marked as answered do not get the same attention new ones do. Your question, your problem, is different and anyone attempting to help is going to have to go through the entire thread to see what has been said before.

Paul's point is well-taken. You should learn how to use Word. When doing tasks like this it is far from intuitive. Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word - from Shauna Kelly

Your basic problem, though, is not within Word, but rather with your OCR software inserting the numerous section breaks.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:51 AM
  • "Actually, you CAN do what the OP is asking.

Now, click just after the section break and press F4. This will copy the formatting from the area above the section break, to the area below the section break. You can then safely delete the section break as per: "

This would be a very good solution. Unfortunately word doesn't let me use it:

"Settings you choose for the left and right margins, column spacing, or paragraph indents are too large for the page width in some sections."

I hit OK and the box is still there.

• Edited by Funfunfa Tuesday, April 21, 2020 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2020 6:52 AM
  • "Actually, you CAN do what the OP is asking.

This would be a very good solution. Unfortunately word doesn't let me use it:

"Settings you choose for the left and right margins, column spacing, or paragraph indents are too large for the page width in some sections."

I hit OK and the box is still there.

This question was posted in 2011 and has been marked as answered. 

Older threads that have been marked as answered do not get the same attention new ones do.

Your question, your problem, is different.

Anyone attempting to help is going to have to go through the entire thread to see what has been said before, much of which is irrelevant to your problem. Posting a new question is likely to get you better results.

Paul's point is well-taken."Pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter at the start of any table will insert a paragraph break before it."

You should learn how to use Word. When doing tasks like this it is far from intuitive. Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word - from Shauna Kelly

Your basic problem, though, is not within Word, but rather with your OCR software inserting the numerous section breaks and other artifacts of the OCR process.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 5:03 PM
  • What you need to do is format the header, footer, page setup settings and column settings of the section you want to delete to be the same as the previous section, and then delete the section break. Allen Wyatt provides the detailed description: word.tips.net/T001477_Getting_Rid_of_Section_Breaks_but_Not_Section_Formatting.html 

1. Place the insertion point at the end of the document, just after the final section break.
    2. If the section break just before the insertion point is a Continuous section break, press Ctrl+Enter to insert a page break.
    3. Choose Header and Footer from the View menu. Word displays the Header and Footer dialog box.
    4. Make sure the Same As Previous control is selected for both the header and footer. This ensures that the final section in the document has the same header and footer as the section just before it.
    5. Close the Header and Footer dialog box.
    6. Place the insertion point just before the final section break.
    7. Choose Page Setup from the File menu. Word displays the Page Setup dialog box. 
    8. Immediately press Enter or click on OK.
    9. Place the insertion point just after the final section break.
    10. Press F4. Word applies to the last section the Page Setup formatting that you accepted in step 8 for the next-to-last last section.
    11. If there are no differences in column formatting between the two final sections, you can skip to step 17.
    12. Place the insertion point just before the final section break.
    13. Choose Columns from the Format menu. Word displays the Columns dialog box. (See Figure 2.)
    14. Immediately press Enter or click on OK.
    15. Place the insertion point just after the final section break.
    16. Press F4. Word applies to the last section the column formatting that you accepted in step 14 for the next-to-las last section.
    17. Select and delete the final section break.
    18. Select and delete the page break you inserted in step 2.

• Proposed as answer by Peter.M.K Friday, May 22, 2020 8:40 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2020 8:19 AM
  • The macro I posted on November 6, 2013 automates the whole process way faster than your manual process could ever be. Simply posting something you found online hardly justifies your self-promotion of an 'answer'.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, May 24, 2020 12:31 PM