Modern Communications site - News push mechanisms RRS feed

• Question

• In Office 365, on a a SharePoint site based on the modern communicaitons site template, I'm exploring what 'push mechanisms' are available for notifying users when a new news item is added. I'm not particularly impressed by what's available, and wondered what other people's experiences are in this situation.

I haev created a site for my communciaitons department on the modern communicaitons site template and shown them how to add news items (which creates a page in the Site Pages library).

I haev then explored the following options for the member of communicaitons staff to then 'push' this information to users - namely, I want them to receive an email.

1. Alerts - I wanted to send a daily summary of new news items being added, however this doesn't seem to work on this site template. Immediate alerts work just fine but then I have no control over formatting (I was willing to lose this control to gain rollup of items into a daily summary).

2. RSS Feed - it works, but feels quite outdated and having news go to the RSS Subscriptions folder in Outlook just doesn't cut it, and to redirect such emails to a person's inbox seems to require the user to configure that and we know the appetite won't be there.

3. Flow - I tried creating a flow for when a new item is submitted, and it works, but I also have no control over the formatting - information is included that is irrleevant to the end user, and I don't think it's possible (although may I just don't know how) to perform a daily summary.

4. SharePoint Designer 2013 Workflow - allows formatting/customisation of the email output, but doesn't allow a daily summary. So far, the best option by far.

It feels like I'm relying on old SharePoint technology which I'm trying to ween myself from, but in this case the SharePoint Designer Workflow functionality seems outperform what is possible in Flow. Are there any other options I'm missing (not looking for any heavy customisations) that can act as a push mechanism, preferably as a daily summary, and preferably being able to customise the fields being pushed (I only really want the Title & Description fields, plus some standard text?

Monday, June 11, 2018 2:01 PM

Answers

• I was able to solve this by using Flow, with the following high level steps:

1. Recurrence (run once a week)

2. Get Items (from SharePoint list)

3. Filter array - with this formula: @greaterOrEquals(FormatDateTime(item()?['Created'], 'MM/dd/yyyy'), formatDateTime(addDays(utcNow(), -7), 'MM/dd/yyyy'))

4. Select

5. Create HTML Table

6. Compose - apply some formatting to the table

7. Send an email

• Marked as answer by PetyrBaelish Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Our forum focus on a software called Lync or OCS, based on your description, the problem is related to the sharepoint online, so I moved this thread to SharePoint online forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by PetyrBaelish Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by PetyrBaelish Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:19 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:12 AM
  • I was able to solve this by using Flow, with the following high level steps:

1. Recurrence (run once a week)

2. Get Items (from SharePoint list)

3. Filter array - with this formula: @greaterOrEquals(FormatDateTime(item()?['Created'], 'MM/dd/yyyy'), formatDateTime(addDays(utcNow(), -7), 'MM/dd/yyyy'))

4. Select

5. Create HTML Table

6. Compose - apply some formatting to the table

7. Send an email

• Marked as answer by PetyrBaelish Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:34 AM