locked
Cannot PXE boot - Looking for ItemKey that doesn't exist RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a strange issue and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

    In my All Unknown Computers collection, I found I had four entries - two x64 Unknown Computer entries and two x86 Unknown Computer entries. (I'm not sure where the two "extra" objects came from since I did not migrate computers from the 2007 environment.) Two of the objects - one x86, one x64 - didn't have a site code associated with them at all, whereas the other two have the Primary Sites's site code, as expected.

    I moved the "rogue" Unknown Computers to a separate collection and, in doing so, I was given the option to delete them. (The delete option is grayed out on the All Unknown Computers collection by design.)

    Now, whenever I attempt to PXE boot an unknown computer, I receive a "TFTP Download: smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com" message.

    I've checked the SMSPXE.log on the test DP and it appears to be reporting as I would expect.

     Received DHCP Request SMSPXE 2/7/2013 2:57:58 PM 2536 (0x09E8)
     Using device info from cache SMSPXE 2/7/2013 2:57:58 PM 2536 (0x09E8)
     Device has been rejected SMSPXE 2/7/2013 2:57:58 PM 2536 (0x09E8)

    However, the ItemKey entry appears to be pointing to the unknown computers I deleted instead of using the two unknown computers in the All Unknown Computers collection. My understanding is the ItemKey entry corresponds to the Resource ID. When I search for the Resource ID in the SCCM 2012 console, I don't find any device. It doesn't show up as Unknown or otherwise. In other words, the client boot action reply is getting an ItemKey that doesn't exist, which makes sense because I deleted those objects. What I don't understand is why the two valid Unknown Computer objects are not being used.

    Is the cache referenced above the WDS cache and, if so, how to do I clear it? Recycling WDS on the DP does not fix this issue and neither does a reboot. I also noticed there does not appear to be CacheExpire value in the registry on a 2012 DP.


    -Nick O.


    • Edited by Nick Ourso Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:58 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:56 PM

Answers

  • Problem has been fixed. I ended having to uninstall and reinstall WDS on the DP.

    -Nick O.

    • Marked as answer by Nick Ourso Friday, February 8, 2013 7:21 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 7:21 PM

All replies

  • I don´t know about ItemKey, but the best way to hunt down the unknown computer record, which is messing you with abortpxe, is to create a promt query, where you enter mac adress and will see the computer name or unknown record linked to it. Then you have to delete it, to pass abortpxe behaviour.

    You cannot delete uknown computer x64 and unknown computer x86 objects, it is not possible by design. So you perhaps have deleted some ghost records.

    Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Thanks. I created a query to search for MAC address, or BIOS GUID, or Resource ID, so I cover all the bases. Whenever I put in the MAC address for my test PC, I receive "No items found." Whenever I put in the BIOS GUID, I receive "No items found." And whenever I put in the Resource ID - what the SMSPXE.log is showing as ItemKey - I receive "No items found."

    I have rebooted the DP as well as the Primary Site to no avail.


    -Nick O.

    Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Problem has been fixed. I ended having to uninstall and reinstall WDS on the DP.

    -Nick O.

    • Marked as answer by Nick Ourso Friday, February 8, 2013 7:21 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back, this is the first time I hear that abortpxe is solved by reinstalling WDS.
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:18 AM