none
FIM object person with a collection of another Object (Entity) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have in FIM a Person object with several attributes I would like to group.

The person object has a lot of attributes like: entity1phone,entity1mail, entity2phone, entity2mail, ...entity10phone, entity10mail.

I would like to have an Person object with a collection of Entity objects where the entity object should have the attributes phone and mail.

Can I do this? How?

Many, many thanks,

DD

• Edited by DevDiver Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:50 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I only see the two options (References or Multi-Value) beside the normal one attribute for each value.

With Multi-Value fields you can maybe set a prefix on the values like "E1:myValue" to determine how the are depend on each other.

But you than have to handle those attributes on export flows, and may have to remove the prefix before exporting to some systems.

I think there are no more options.

Regards
    Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by DevDiver Monday, January 19, 2015 6:51 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2015 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

it is possible but in a very limited way. You will have many restrictions if you do so.

You could have reference attributs that references entity objects (custom resource type). You can access the attributes of that objects like it is descibed for manager often.

[//Target/RefObj/DisplayName] for example.

But you can not set attributes of referenced object that way and you can not use this lookup in SyncRules.
    So if it is only for displaying those information in portal, than answer is yes.

But i would not do that, because of the limitations

In all cases where i use reference objects on users for getting attribute values and other informations I copy the values from the reference objects to attributes of the user, in order to be able to sync them to target systems.

Regards
    Peter

Friday, January 16, 2015 9:04 AM
  • What if I put this new string attributes: EntityPhone, EntityMail, EntityRole, EntityCode, EntityDesc, ... as Multi-Value Atributes? Will that work?

I guess that if I use indexed strings I'm limited to 448 chars, but if I use non-indexed string there is no limit.

I'm a little bit worried about performance because a person can belong to a lot of entities but I guess FIM can handle multi value strings wisely.

Any advise?

Many Thanks,

DD

Friday, January 16, 2015 6:40 PM
  • Hello,

yes multi-value attributes should work, but keep in mind that you can not definatly control the order of values in those fields. So if you rely on the fact that for example the second value of attribute1 has some logic dependency to second value of attribute2 you can not sure about that.

If thats not the case it could be e possible way to you.
    Those attributes are much easier to sync to target systems, like normal attribute. with advanced attribute flows you are able to let only flow single values to the target system for example.

Multivalue attribute need always more performance than normal attributes, but you have only to care about that on very large environments.

Regards
    Peter

Friday, January 16, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Oh, I really would need to keep the order.

I was planning to have in phones: E1Phone, E2Phone,.... and in emails: E1Mail, E2Mail ...

So, if the order is not keeped I can not use it.

I'm stuck with this ...! mainly because users can have a diferent set of entities and it can be a very large set for some.

Any sugestions?

Many thanks,

DD

Saturday, January 17, 2015 11:24 AM
  • Hello,

I only see the two options (References or Multi-Value) beside the normal one attribute for each value.

With Multi-Value fields you can maybe set a prefix on the values like "E1:myValue" to determine how the are depend on each other.

But you than have to handle those attributes on export flows, and may have to remove the prefix before exporting to some systems.

I think there are no more options.

Regards
    Peter

• Marked as answer by DevDiver Monday, January 19, 2015 6:51 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2015 3:36 PM