CPU index subscore increased after adding memory RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 64-bit system with a Pentium D 3.00 gHz CPU.  Until yesterday, it had 4 GIG DDR2 RAM.  The CPU subscore was then the limiting factor in the overall EI, at 4.8.  Then I installed an additional 2 GIG of RAM, and the CPU score jumped to 6.3!  I have cold-booted, and it's still the same.  I had bought a Core 2 Quad Q9300 to upgrade (about as high-end as I can get on a socket 775 motherboard), but now I'm not sure it's worth it!  Surely, the Pentium D can't really have such a high score, can it?
    MW
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 6:33 PM

Answers

• ignore this useless index. I have a value over 7 for my Samsumg HDD (no SSD). Do you have performance issues?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, January 24, 2011 2:02 AM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:08 PM
  • On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:33:41 +0000, MWulfe1 wrote:

I have a Windows 7 64-bit system with a Pentium D 3.00 gHz CPU.  Until yesterday, it had 4 GIG DDR2 RAM.  The CPU subscore was then the limiting factor in the overall EI, at 4.8.  Then I installed an additional 2 GIG of RAM, and the CPU score jumped to 6.3!  I have cold-booted, and it's still the same.  I had bought a Core 2 Quad Q9300 to upgrade (about as high-end as I can get on a socket 775 motherboard), but now I'm not sure it's worth it!  Surely, the Pentium D can't really have such a high score, can it?

Here's my advice: ignore the scores; they are just numbers and are
    largely meaningless. Judge the performance for yourself. If you happy
    with the performance, great! If not, work at finding out why it's poor
    and find out what you need to do to improve it.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:47 PM

All replies

• ignore this useless index. I have a value over 7 for my Samsumg HDD (no SSD). Do you have performance issues?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:08 PM
  • No, there are no real performance issues, but I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to change my CPU from a Pentium D to a Core 2 Quad (with a slightly lower clock speed, already purchased).
    MW
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:40 PM
  • If you already bought the Quad Core CPU, install it to have 4 Cores.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:44 PM
  • On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:33:41 +0000, MWulfe1 wrote:

I have a Windows 7 64-bit system with a Pentium D 3.00 gHz CPU.  Until yesterday, it had 4 GIG DDR2 RAM.  The CPU subscore was then the limiting factor in the overall EI, at 4.8.  Then I installed an additional 2 GIG of RAM, and the CPU score jumped to 6.3!  I have cold-booted, and it's still the same.  I had bought a Core 2 Quad Q9300 to upgrade (about as high-end as I can get on a socket 775 motherboard), but now I'm not sure it's worth it!  Surely, the Pentium D can't really have such a high score, can it?

Here's my advice: ignore the scores; they are just numbers and are
    largely meaningless. Judge the performance for yourself. If you happy
    with the performance, great! If not, work at finding out why it's poor
    and find out what you need to do to improve it.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:47 PM
  • The clock speed of the Pentium is 3.0, the quad core is around 2.6.  Do you think the 4 cores will improve the performance even at the slower clock speed?
    MW
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Yes, install it. The Pentium D should be a lot slower.

Monday, January 10, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Thanks!
    MW
    Monday, January 10, 2011 2:27 PM