Windows 10 configured to install updates at midnight. It sees that it needs updates, but never initiates the installation. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WSUS server and a Windows 10 client computer that is configured to get its updates from the WSUS server. I have the 'Configure Automatic Updates' policy set to '4 - Auto download and schedule the install' with the time set to midnight (00:00).  

When i look at WSUS, it sees the Windows 10 client and it sees that it needs two updates.  When i log into the Windows 10 client, i check 'Windows Updates' and it also shows that it needs those same two updates.  But those updates never install.  It just sits there endlessly waiting for someone to click the Install Now button.  Windows Updates is showing me that 'some settings are managed by your organization' and when i view those settings, they look exactly like my group policies.

What is preventing the Windows 10 client from scheduling the install for midnight tonight?  Where can i check to see if it is even scheduled to install at all?  

Here are all the policies i have set for this one client (i have other Windows 10 clients and Windows Server servers that use this WSUS server.  The servers will install updates as scheduled, but the clients won't, so i'm troubleshooting with this one Windows 10 client and this one set of policies.)

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi jrauman,

Thanks for posting on this forum.

Please consider checking the UpdateOrchestra.etl log. This log is suitable for the following situations:
    When you see that the updates are available but download is not getting triggered. 
    When Updates are downloaded but installation is not triggered.
    When Updates are installed but reboot is not triggered.
    Log location: C:\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs

Reference link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-logs

Please refer to the following steps to open the .etl file:
    1. Save the current file
    2. Open Event Viewer and open this saved log
    Reference picture:

If you find any error message, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita   

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 29, 2020 2:31 AM
  • sorry for my bad English, but i'm a french user, with exactly, as i can see, the same problem...

I have a WSUS server and a Windows 10 client computer that is configured to get its updates from the WSUS server. I have the 'Configure Automatic Updates' policy set to '4 - Auto download and schedule the install' with the time set to 05:00.  

When i look at WSUS, it sees the Windows 10 client and it sees that it needs updates.  When i log into the Windows 10 client, i check 'Windows Updates' and it also shows that it needs those same updates.  But those updates never install.  It just sits there endlessly waiting for someone to click the Install Now button.  Windows Updates is showing me that 'some settings are managed by your organization' and when i view those settings, they look exactly like my group policies.

if i ask manual install, everything going well BUT if not, the Windows 10 client wait

i try on a new machine, with minimal GPO,  same problem….

thank's for any help

cabare michel

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 5:37 AM
  • Welcome to the club!
    MS has screwed the WSUS update process with W10 2004. We all face the same. The updates don't get triggered to install. Do they test before releasing?!?
    I wonder how we should fix this. Walking up or remotely log in to every client to kick the installations manually?

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 8:49 AM
  • thank's for information,

but my Windows 10 is an 1809 enterprise (we gradually go on step by step… ;-) , and WSUS is on a 2016 server

cabare michel

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 8:53 AM
  • Interesting information.
    That leads to the idea that one of the later updates causes the issue and not 2004. 
    Tuesday, June 30, 2020 11:21 AM
  • i'm on this problem since 14 days, but maybe it's occurred before, 

cabare michel

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 12:36 PM
  • Hi cabare,

Thanks for your time.

It is not known whether the Group Policy conflict is caused. Please check client group policy settings. Please follow the following reference screenshot below to provide the corresponding screenshot:

Registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

Regards,
    Rita

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:40 AM
  • hello rita, thank's for your response...

i'm not shure i've understand you're answer, you want too see my registry ?

and

cabare michel

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 5:07 AM
  • the problem is still active, now, computer have update announced since 20 days...

any help ?

cabare michel

Monday, July 6, 2020 2:40 PM