Windows 2K RIS Server and Dell Optiplex 740 RRS feed

• Question

• At my job site, we have been using Remote Installation Service (RIS) to image all machines.  It has been working great until this last batch of dells that we have purchased.  For some reason there are many issues with the Optiplex 740 and our RIS.  I am not sure the root cause, but there are many differences that don't make much sense.  We are using a slipstreamed WinXP SP3 image on a Win2K Server SP4 using RIS and PXE to deploy.

• The system32 security properties on a Dell 740 are different. This has made it so users cannot use mspaint, calc or any other applications in the system32 folder.
      •  Dell 740 : only admin and system have rights to use system32. 
      • A VM created at the same time, same OU and same Image : Admin, Power Users, System, Creator Owner, and users have rights in one fashion or another.
    • HP 1020 printer act differently.
      • On the old system and vms, the 1020 works properly.
      • On the new systems, the 1020 will either not print at all, giving a downlevel document error, or will print for a short while, then no longer print.
    • Another issue with the new systems are that they freeze up regularly.  Out of 200 new machines, we have reports of 50+ lockups a day, plus the ones that are not reported.

If anyone has had similar issues, or a possible solution to why this is happening and what can be done to fix it, please email me the information.

Chris Sprague
    csprague@sbo.poquoson.k12.va.us

Monday, November 3, 2008 2:37 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Chris,

As this issue only occurs on Dell Optiplex 740, the cause should not be on the RIS side. You’d better contact Dell to confirm if computers of this model have these known issues.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Edited by Tim Quan Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:33 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, November 7, 2008 2:16 AM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:32 AM