Why am I asked to re-activate when I have not done any upgrades? RRS feed

• Question

• A message game up telling me I have 3 days to re-activate. I tried to enter my code, but a msg sated that it was already in use. What gives?

I have been installing programs for the last 2 or 3 days.

I have only changed memory yesterday.

Joe Purpura

OS =Vista Home Premium

Asus MB p5n32 sli Deluxe  2 gig mem.

Intel Duo Core processor

Sunday, October 31, 2010 12:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

You can try the Phone activation as below:

1. Click the Start button, type "SLUI.EXE 4" (without the quotation marks) in the search box, and press “Enter”.

Note: There is a space between "SLUI.EXE" and "4".

2. Select  the neatest location, and click "Next".

3. Please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.

4. The Windows Activation will generate a toll-free phone number, 1-866-740-1256 for US, 1-866-740-1256 for Canada. And the installation ID will be displayed, please follow the on-screen steps to activate it.

Reference:

How to activate Windows Vista

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, November 5, 2010 6:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

According your description, as you have changed the memory, you need to re-activate the system.

Reference:

Will I ever need to activate my current copy of Windows again?

How do I activate Windows?

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 1, 2010 9:49 AM
  • I have already tried to do a re-activate and received a message that stated that "the autorization code is already being used"

Can someone help?

Joe

Purpjj1
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Hi Joe,

You can try the Phone activation as below:

1. Click the Start button, type "SLUI.EXE 4" (without the quotation marks) in the search box, and press “Enter”.

Note: There is a space between "SLUI.EXE" and "4".

2. Select  the neatest location, and click "Next".

3. Please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.

4. The Windows Activation will generate a toll-free phone number, 1-866-740-1256 for US, 1-866-740-1256 for Canada. And the installation ID will be displayed, please follow the on-screen steps to activate it.

Reference:

How to activate Windows Vista

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, November 5, 2010 6:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Thank you Sabrina, This worked as it did originally.

Now does this mean that I can activate it again if I change motherboards, etc. How many activations do I have left?

Joe

Purpjj1
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Hi Joe,

·         You can refer to the answer in the following similar thread:

Upgrading motherboard and processor and reactivation

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance.  :)

Regards,

Sabrina

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:56 AM