none
Restore Catalogs from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are currently down to our last DPM 2007 Server and my question is there a way I can backup the Database Catalogs so once I have rebuilt my server and have installed DPM 2010 can I restore my Catalogs, Also once I have upgraded to DPM 2010 can I still backup servers running with the DPM 2007 Client?

Thank you 

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Mat,

You can backup the DPM database by opening an administrative command window and running "dpmbackup -db". This will create a backup of the database, dpmdb.bak, located here:

%program files%\\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups

Save this backup to a USB drive or network share so you can restore it after you rebuild your server.

Since you mention you are going to rebuild the server, I assume you mean you will be reinstalling the OS. If this is the case, after you install the new OS you will need to reinstall DPM 2007 and whatever DPM service pack and rollup hotfixes you have installed now to bring the version of DPM back to the same version as the database. Once DPM 2007 is up to date you need to restore the DPMDB

Use DPMSync to attach the database to DPM.

DPMsync -RestoreDB -DBLoc <location of the dpmdb.bak>

Now you can do an upgrade to DPM 2010. After you upgrade the DPM server to 2010 you will need to upgrade the agents also.

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mat Shields Monday, November 14, 2011 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Mat,

You can backup the DPM database by opening an administrative command window and running "dpmbackup -db". This will create a backup of the database, dpmdb.bak, located here:

%program files%\\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups

Save this backup to a USB drive or network share so you can restore it after you rebuild your server.

Since you mention you are going to rebuild the server, I assume you mean you will be reinstalling the OS. If this is the case, after you install the new OS you will need to reinstall DPM 2007 and whatever DPM service pack and rollup hotfixes you have installed now to bring the version of DPM back to the same version as the database. Once DPM 2007 is up to date you need to restore the DPMDB

Use DPMSync to attach the database to DPM.

DPMsync -RestoreDB -DBLoc <location of the dpmdb.bak>

Now you can do an upgrade to DPM 2010. After you upgrade the DPM server to 2010 you will need to upgrade the agents also.

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mat Shields Monday, November 14, 2011 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Will we be required to update the agents straight away, Or can we continue to backup with DPM 2010 and the old DPM 2007 agents or are we required to update each agent before we can get backup, Also is a restart required after updating to the latest agent? 
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:00 AM
  • Hi Mat,

Yes, you will need to update the agents before DPM 2010 can backup the protected servers. However a reboot is only required for updated agents on Windows Server 2003. Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 do not require a reboot after updating the agent.

Thanks,

Marc

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:33 PM