.NET Runtime Optimization Services causing high CPU Usage RRS feed

• Question

• From time to time my computer gives me an error 'high CPU usage" that is usually putting my PC at 90%. Always over 80% at least. The sad part is that most of the time when it happens I literally have nothing running. For example, I just wiped my hard drive clean. Fully clean install of Win 7 Ultimate. All day I have been downloading the updates (service pack, etc.). Once those were complete I installed Norton and then Chrome, Skype, DropBox, MSN, all relevant adobe products (PDF Reader, flash, etc.). In other words, really nothing is installed on the computer. I have not used any of the items I have downloaded except chrome because my computer has never liked IE (and you may recall that issue from way back while I was still at Wells).

So I started googeling around and found that I am not the only one with this issue. 
    The thing is none of those blogs make any sense... or have truly pinpointed what to do. Here are my Computer Specs:

Win 7 Ultimate
    Service Pack 1
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.2GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    64 Bit Operating System

I don't know if some type of graphic options may be contributing to this issue... or what even to explore anymore. I am really at loss. I thought it may be my hard drive that was failing for the past month or two (or the fan) but clearly it is not anything even remotely close to what I thought. I even considered malware or viruses... not applicable in this case either.

Also 
    mscorsvw.exe is not a service that is running on the PC. 

I am desperate to resolve this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding this issue , I suggest you check the issue in Clean Boot to rule out influence of any third party software.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If the issue persists in Clean Boot Mode, please troubleshoot this issue with resource monitor tool which is built in Windows 7. (Click start menu, type “resource monitor” or “Resmon.exe” (without the quotes), right-click and run as administrator.)

I would like to share the following articles with you.

How to troubleshoot high CPU in the System process
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/yongrhee/archive/2009/08/07/how-to-troubleshoot-high-cpu-in-the-system-process.aspx
    High CPU (SVCHOST.EXE)
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/04/10/prf-high-cpu-svchost-exe.aspx

Best regards,
    Della Li

• Proposed as answer by Della Li Friday, February 24, 2012 6:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, February 24, 2012 7:55 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 8:52 AM
  • typically you see this after installing an .net update

see here for a explanation http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidnotario/archive/2005/04/27/412838.aspx

• Proposed as answer by prefekt Friday, May 17, 2013 6:35 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:37 AM
    • Proposed as answer by neologiker Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:44 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:44 PM
  • I am seeing this happening on every Windows Server 2012 standard with GUI. Fresh build with NO internet connection. The CPU is pegged at 100% by the .NET Runtime Optimization Service.

I've read on other sites that this is normal as Windows is compiling necessary .NET assemblies needed for the the OS. What bugs me is they should have included that during the install process or at least warn you the system is totally unusable for a good 10+ minutes. I couldn't open ANYTHING except task manager.

I've only seen this happen on Server 2012 boxes. Some were VM's some were not didn't matter.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Windows has many UI components based on .NET and the optimization is simply compiling them for your rig. Eventually it will get ahead of the load and go away. 

Windows updates may also bring it back to process the updates.

I use C++ native so my products depend only on the relevant run-time which rarely needs any patching.

Corsair Carbide 300R with TX850V2
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2 (GK104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:14 AM
  • This was great thanks
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:30 AM
  • How exactly is this "great"? And why is it acceptable that a process hijacks 102% of my CPU and 100% of my disk usage without any notification or acceptance on my part? The arrogance and ignorance of the people at these companies that we are beholden to for our technology is insane! Why on earth wouldn't a simple dialog be included to allow the user to specify an appropriate time for this invasive task that has rendered my computer unusable?  

*smh*

MiG

Friday, February 16, 2018 5:15 PM
  • you could always upgrade your windows to Linux...
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 12:00 AM