none
Issue in getting performance metrics reports from servers in workgroup in different subnet RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi

I am facing issue in creating Performance report of servers using MAP tool at one of my customer environment. The brief details are –

Environment -

Servers  - Windows 2000 Servers with SP4. Servers are in Workgroup and are part of protected VLAN segment

MAP tool – MAP version 3.2. The machine in which MAP tool has been installed is in different Workgroup and also in different VLAN subnet than that of servers. The OS in this machine is Windows XPP with SP2. There is a firewall between this machine and servers.

Issue – Not able to capture performance details of servers and error reported in – Machine Not Found

I have tried the following –

1.       Getting following firewall ports open  TCP Port 135, 139 & 445. UDP port 137 & 138

2.       I have disabled the firewall in the host machine

3.       The user which is being used for WMI credentials was been added in Local Administrator group of the servers. The error in the report changed to Access Denied

Also I have added the servers in local host file and able to ping the machine by name. I am able to browse the machine by NETBIOS name ( \\machine_name ). The customer is not ready to install tool on same VLAN subnet in which Servers are present.

Please let me know some clues to resolve the issue

Thanks

Regards

Parveen Khanna

Parveen
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:31 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, performance counter collection does not work for workgroup machines, only domain-joined machines.

This is a limitation of the API that MAP uses to collect perf data; we're looking at ways to try to fix this.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:03 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, performance counter collection does not work for workgroup machines, only domain-joined machines.

This is a limitation of the API that MAP uses to collect perf data; we're looking at ways to try to fix this.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any work arounds for this problem (performance metrics reports from servers in workgroup in different subnet).

Because I am facing the same issue. I am able to run the windows 2008 readiness report on the same server which is in workgroup but if i try to run performance metrics " Just it say access denied"

If I check the log (Microsoft.AssessmentPlatform.UI.Console.log) file it shows :-

<InventoryEngine 07:41:41>  PerfCollector.PerformanceFailCB Exited for target: server1
    <InventoryEngine 07:41:41>  PerfCollector.PerformanceFailCB Entered for target: server2
    <InventoryEngine 07:41:41>  SaveOneFailureInstance Success: Thread: 6 for Target Guid: a6ae01c8-cd47-44bc-9ab6-0f5bf4df688d
    <InventoryEngine 07:41:41>  PerfCollector.PerformanceFailCB Exited for target: server2
    <InventoryEngine 07:43:16>  PerfCollector.PerformanceFailCB Entered for target: server3
    <InventoryEngine 07:43:16>  SaveOneFailureInstance Success: Thread: 5 for Target Guid: 8c600136-1c2c-463d-a7e2-85e6a484ded3
    <InventoryEngine 07:43:16>  PerfCollector.PerformanceFailCB Exited for target: server3
    <InventoryEngine 07:46:18>  PerfCollector.PerformanceFailCB Entered for target: server4
    <InventoryEngine 07:46:18>  SaveOneFailureInstance Success: Thread: 6 for Target Guid: d2c0c505-d704-4b46-a9ae-d7f313700655
    <InventoryEngine 07:46:18>  PerfCollector.PerformanceFailCB Exited for target: server4

Please let me know if any solutions or workarounds.

manju
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:46 AM
  • I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused by this. In the "Inventory Account" dialog box you write: "Leave the domain name blank when specifying a local account." This means that the tool can validate against the local SAM DB and you are (so the same GUI says) using WMI to collect performance counters. Why is this a problem? It schould be pretty straight forward to script against WMI to collect performance data. I have found out the hard way, that the collector machine also has to be a domain member, so it seems anyway. I have wasted a lot of time trying to get the tool to work. It would be very relevant to users of the tool if a comment about this workgroup limitation was shown in that same dialog box.

I am like Parveen very much interested in hearing how or if you can effectively collect performance data from DMZ environments where most servers usually are in stand alone configurations.

Last time I wrote in here we discussed that there are no information about memory consumption in the reports and disk throughput measurements are also missing. Now this workgroup thing comes on top of that. I created some scripts using logman.exe to make the servers in question collect there own performace data but then I use too much time on presenting the collected data in a nice excel document.

I really feel it's a shame because I like the layout of the tool and I think MSFT, us (the partners) and the customers would benefit a great deal of accelerating the processes of migrations and server consolidations and so on.

Is there any information on when to expect the next version?
    IT Consultant
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:30 PM