Smtp connector mistaken configuration? Exchange 2010 help RRS feed

• Question

• A little big problem with my ex2010. I'm using an smtp connector for sending mail. I've not an mx record inside, due to connectivity problems, so i bought a relay from 1st provider of my country (italy) and inserted in connector. Everything worked fine until 1 month ago. Some mail return with non delivery issue that tells that reverse dns check is not possible, i think HELO control...but i don't understand...the dns control doesn't have to be to the provider ip? it seems it use my public ip for searching starting email...naturally it doesn't work...have i mistaken something? At the official MOC they tell us to configure in this way..it worked fine for 6 years...now? 

Thank you very much.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:44 AM

Answers

• "go into your domain hosting on internet and create a ptr record pointing to your public ip called  81.88.123.12" for your SMTP domain.

assuming your ADSL provider then forward out to the net from here and doesnt hop to another host.

Sukh
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:46 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:10 PM
  • For avoiding reverse dns problem what i've to do? I need a dummy answer. Like: "go into your domain hosting on internet and create a ptr record pointing to your public ip called ...."

What is your public ip specifically?

GO here and enter it:

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/ReverseLookup.aspx

Does it have a reverse record? If so, you are set. If not, contact your ISP (typically) or whomever is responsible for maintaning your ip block and have them add the correct entry. They should know. Otherwise, it should resolve to FQDN of the sending server in public DNS.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:52 PM

All replies

1. If you know your issue is with PTR records, then maybe your IP has changed?
    2. A valid PRT record should be the source SMTP server's IP address on the internet DNS.
    3. The external IP address as it leaves your Org.  Send a message internal>external and check the IP and create the record witht he right IP.

Sukh
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:50 AM
  • sorry...simplify a bit.

No, my ip is still the same but...

Actually my domain is called mydomain.local

I've created a forward lookup zone named mydomain.internet and in there i create A records for pop, www, ftp that still online.

For sending out i use my provider connection smtp.

Now. Ive to create a new forward lookup zone with the name of the provider provider.com and there insert a ptr record for smtp.provider.com pointing to my ip public address? 

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:03 AM
    1. Read this, mau help you - http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1184602.htm
    2. Do you use a smarthost?
    3. "Actually my domain is called mydomain.local" - What domain is this? A windows domain or a SMTP domain?

4. "For sending out i use my provider connection smtp." - What does this mean?  run get-sendconnetor "connectorname" | fl , have you got a smart host or you using DNS?

5. https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ - Run the internet Outbound SMTP test, use that IP for your PTR record. If it;s managed by you or your ISP/Send a message internal>external and check the IP .

Sukh
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:28 AM
  • If you are routing all outbound mail through a provider and you are getting NDRs, then the problem will be on their end in most cases.

What is the exact NDR?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:38 AM
  • 572 MAIL REFUSED - REVERSE DNS FAILED; IP ADDRESS MISMATCH IN THE helo COMMAND.

But if i create a new reverse zone with the range of the provider's ip and in this zone i create a PTR with the name of the smtp server associated to ip of this server it doesn't works?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:42 AM
  • 572 MAIL REFUSED - REVERSE DNS FAILED; IP ADDRESS MISMATCH IN THE helo COMMAND.

But if i create a new reverse zone with the range of the provider's ip and in this zone i create a PTR with the name of the smtp server associated to ip of this server it doesn't works?

Who is refusing the mail? The provider or the external recipient domains?

You dont have to create a reverse zone. that wont fix it. Whomever is resposible for the ip block of sending server ( The routable ip address on the internet of the SMTP server that sends your mail to other servers) needs to add a PTR record in their DNS if it is indeed missing.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:50 AM
    1. It depends how yur email is going out on the internet, you may need to create or your ISP on the Internet (Public) DNS servers, not your internal.

Sukh
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Sorry..maybe I not explain. Firstly, I CAN'T ROUTE MX RECORD ON MY PUBLIC IP FOR MANY REASONS, connectivity first. ok..Now i'll try: ip's are not real naturally.

I've a pubblic ip 92.94.123.42

My internal server is 192.168.0.50 and is called exchange.contosodc.local

My internal AD name domain is contosodc.local

I own an internet domain called contoso.it and i create in my public domain a record exchange.contoso.it pointing to my public ip. In this way i can use anywhere.

I create a DNS forward lookup zone in my AD called contoso.it where insert an A record exchange.contoso.it pointing to my internal ip exchange server. In this way, notebooks can connect inside ad outside the lan with anywhere (my cisco router doesn't wants loop so this is the only way for resolving internal exchange.contoso.it name).

Ok. I dowload mail through a pop 3 connector and sending out with exchange 2010 smtp connector (no edge, single server mantaining all roles, very little reality).

In the smtp connector i configure "route through this smart hosts" and inserted the ADSL provider smtp called smtp.provider.com having ip 81.88.123.12. No other autentication. No relay policies, nothing. Simple and clear.

Now the question. 

For avoiding reverse dns problem what i've to do? I need a dummy answer. Like: "go into your domain hosting on internet and create a ptr record pointing to your public ip called ...."

I've 15 Ex2010 configured in this way. Never had problems. I can manage my hosting and my AD DNS, naturally not the connectivity provider hosting. 

Is there a simple answer?? Thank you...

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:03 PM
  • "go into your domain hosting on internet and create a ptr record pointing to your public ip called  81.88.123.12" for your SMTP domain.

assuming your ADSL provider then forward out to the net from here and doesnt hop to another host.

Sukh
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:10 PM
  • ok, that's i want! Thank you Sukh! I'll try now!! thank you!!!
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:17 PM
  • For avoiding reverse dns problem what i've to do? I need a dummy answer. Like: "go into your domain hosting on internet and create a ptr record pointing to your public ip called ...."

What is your public ip specifically?

GO here and enter it:

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/ReverseLookup.aspx

Does it have a reverse record? If so, you are set. If not, contact your ISP (typically) or whomever is responsible for maintaning your ip block and have them add the correct entry. They should know. Otherwise, it should resolve to FQDN of the sending server in public DNS.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:52 PM