none
Unwanted bdc3-hits in the content RRS feed

• Question

• We have created two custom bdc-solutions we are crawling. For each solution we get two unnecessary hits in the content which doesn't make sense. The two hits per solution are on the form:

ProjectName&s_ce=04808480840004080g100240424044 and 191&s_ce=04808480840004080g1000h0100

They have url on the form bdc3://projectnamemodel_projectnamemodel/Default/00000000%252D0000%252D0000%252D0000%252D000000000000/projectnameModel/projectnameModel&s_ce=04808480840004080g100240424044

They show up if you searhc for bdc3, s, ce, projectname etc. It's not a huge problem, but they should not be there.

Question 1: What are they, and why are they there?

We tried to remove them by addinga  crawl rule to remove the hits with these urls, but then fast wouldn't crawl anything from this content, because these urls are apparently the starturls of the solutions we want to crawl.

Question 2: How can they be removed?

We are considering removing them through xslt, but we are hesitating since that seems a bit "hacky". We have also considered removing them by adding rules in the scopes, but this isn't a good solution either.  Any ideas?

Monday, February 7, 2011 8:56 AM

Answers

• hi,

Answer 1: I'm not sure why they are crawled, might be thats how the crawling of bdc are initialize???

Answer 2: If the purpose is to not show these results, then you can easily hide them by using a searchscope with the filter: andnot (urls:bdc3*), that works for my case.

Good luck :)

• Marked as answer by tarjeieo Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:37 PM

All replies

• hi,

Answer 1: I'm not sure why they are crawled, might be thats how the crawling of bdc are initialize???

Answer 2: If the purpose is to not show these results, then you can easily hide them by using a searchscope with the filter: andnot (urls:bdc3*), that works for my case.

Good luck :)

• Marked as answer by tarjeieo Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Hi Tarjeieo

Would you mind providing me with the steps required to add the filter, as I am not sure where to add the filter.

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Sure, Darren.

On your SharePoint frontend-server, you need to install a scope with the correct filter. First you get hold of your search query application, which you named during install of the search app. Mine is called "Fast Query SSA" (you get the name from the search service applications).

$searchApp = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication "Fast Query SSA"

You will need a filter to do your functionality. If you are listing all content sources, you can just say

$FQLfilter = "not(urls:bdc3*)"

Or if you want to have just one contentsource, then it goes like this

$FQLfilter = "contentsource:MyContentSource andnot(urls:bdc3*)" (I'm sure you can write this in other ways as well.)

Then you add a new scope like this:

New-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryScope -Name "ScopeName" -Description "This scope does something" -SearchApplication $searchApp -DisplayInAdminUI $true -ExtendedSearchFilter $FQLfilter -AlternateResultsPage "default.aspx"

You can skip the AlternateResultsPage. It points to the page the scope will be active in, e.g. "default.aspx"

Finally, you need to compile the scopes:

$searchApp.StartScopesCompilation()

Now it's just a matter of connecting the scope to the Search Core Results Web Part on your frontendpage (e.g. default aspx). This is done through the settings, it's one of the first options. Give the same name as you provided as the name of the scope.

Give SharePoint a couple of minutes to think about it, and you should be good to go.

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:46 AM
  • Did it fix the issue, Darren?
    Monday, February 21, 2011 6:39 PM