Extended Partition Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I recently had 2 partitions on my 500GB HDD, one being my C: (OS) and D: (Data). I was backing up my C: to my D: as a precaution. I have now purchased a 2TB External for my backups. This allowed me to delete the D: Partition, making it unallocated space, I then tried to extend my C: Partition to this unallocated space, which it has done if i'm in "Disk Management", but this does not reflect on my C: in "my computer".

Could someone assist with helping me getting the C: to show the now 440GB of space? as it only reflects 178GB.

Many Thanks.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael

My apologies for the late reply, I work awkward hours and it is almost impossible to get a second to get back here everyday.

The PC in question is however not my personal PC and the person it belongs to has now formatted the HDD and done a fresh install of Windows.

Just a note, I did restart the PC and did disconnect and reconnect the HDD, in hopes that it would just need to be refreshed.

I appreciate the help from the Forum.

Thanks again.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:49 AM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi

Here is my sugestion

download Minitool on the below

http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html

I have used this many time to extend/shrink volumes to Create IFS systems.

Its pretty easy to install and use, also has the added benefits of data recovery built in.

hope this helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:56 AM
  • So when looking in diskmgmt.msc, you have no unallocated space, and c: shows as '500gb', but when looking in 'my computer' its still 178gb?

How many paritions do you have? If you have the the right conditions, no 3.party tool is required.

When you look in diskmgmt.msc, you will see some default paritions and the C: partition. If you have no partitions to the right of C:, but only unallocated space, its possible. If there is, you wont be able to and you have to delete that partition.

\

best regards

jesper vindum, denmark

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Office client. Since your query is directly related to Windows 7, I'm moving it to the forum of Windows 7, where you can get more experienced responses:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w7itproperf

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Ethan Hua CHN
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:24 AM
  • diskmgmt.msc shows 2 partitions, system reserved (100mbs) and C: (440gbs). there are no other partitions or unallocated space. the unallocated space has already been taken when i extended the HDD partition.

the problem being that when i open "my computer", it only shows 178gbs, which was the original partition size before extending the c:

No 3rd party tools were used.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:41 AM
  • I will give this a try and update you guys
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

Any update here?

Based on my understanding, you have already extended the C: drive successfully through Disk Management, and the problem is the C: drive won't show in right space through Windows explorer?

I suggest we restart Windows Explorer and then recheck this issue.

Besides, would you mind to post us a screenshot of Disk Management here? Also please take a look into Event Viewer and see if there are any errors that we could track with.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:43 AM
  • Hi Michael

My apologies for the late reply, I work awkward hours and it is almost impossible to get a second to get back here everyday.

The PC in question is however not my personal PC and the person it belongs to has now formatted the HDD and done a fresh install of Windows.

Just a note, I did restart the PC and did disconnect and reconnect the HDD, in hopes that it would just need to be refreshed.

I appreciate the help from the Forum.

Thanks again.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:49 AM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:39 AM