Word Crashes when trying to open file from network RRS feed

• Question

• This is a very similar issue like this thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sv-FI/officeitpro/thread/95bc7898-e92d-4e47-8f73-390dba53e851 I cannot open any document from any network share, mapped drive or network place- Word Immediately crashes saying "Microsoft Word has stopped working", tries to find a solution and then closes. This can be caused by any means of access the file- directly double clicking from explorer or using the Open command in word, it even crashes when using the Open command, and then just clicking once on a mapped drive or Network header.

I can however copy any file from the network to the local machine and it opens fine. I have tried (With no change in symptoms):

Safe mode (word), remove & recreate normal templates, repair office, uninstall-reinstall office, updated all updates, disabled offline files, removed protected view settings, trusted network documents, disabled auto-save, virus scans (SEP, Malwarebytes, TDSSKiller), system restore to 2 weeks ago- prior to when user said issued started, reinstalled & updated again after restore, and many other things I can't think of right now.

I have tried to run procmon.exe from sysinternals but get a message saying that "c:\windows\system32\fltlib.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again......"

I tried the instruction on the linked topic above to create a dump file, but no file was created.

This is only happening on one workstation on the network. Win7Pro, x64, Office 2010 Standard.

I am at my wits end, and need some help!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hello Mceniceros,

It sounds like something outside of Word is causing the crash.

Does the issue happen when saving to one specific network location or to all?

Does the issue happen to all Office applications?  How about WordPad, Notepad or Adobe Reader?

Open MSCONFIG (Start button | Run | MSCONFIG), disable all non-microsoft services ( On the services tab, Check hide all Microsoft services and then disable all) and anything in the startup tab that you can disable and reboot.  Does the issue happen there too?

Thanks,

Aaron

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The fltlib.dll is a Windows DLL. Maybe the DLL is damaged.

Please try to replace the DLL with the file from your DVD(windows) and copy the extracted file to the system32 folder.

You may also use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows 7

sfc /scannow

More detailed information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 8, 2012 7:01 AM
  • I have replaced the fltlib.dll file and am now able to run procmon, I also have run sfc /scannow which says it found corrupt files but was not able to repair them. When trying to view the files that need to be fixed it says that sfcdetails.txt cannot be opened. If I run the same command with out the destination of desktop/sfcdetails.txt, then it displays the files in the cmd window, but there are what to appear to be hunderds of files.

I have both logs (procmon & sfc) but they only make partial sense to me. And I still cannot open office files from a network location.

Event Viewer

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          6/13/2012 12:45:09 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Investigation1
    Description:
    Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 14.0.6024.1000, time stamp: 0x4d83e2f6
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
    Faulting process id: 0x11c0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4994a74f8694
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: e614f3d5-b587-11e1-b4e1-cc52af403538
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-06-13T18:45:09.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>10249</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Investigation1</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>WINWORD.EXE</Data>
        <Data>14.0.6024.1000</Data>
        <Data>4d83e2f6</Data>
        <Data>unknown</Data>
        <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
        <Data>00000000</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>0000000000000000</Data>
        <Data>11c0</Data>
        <Data>01cd4994a74f8694</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE</Data>
        <Data>unknown</Data>
        <Data>e614f3d5-b587-11e1-b4e1-cc52af403538</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• Edited by mceniceros Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:49 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards. 

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Hello Mceniceros,

It sounds like something outside of Word is causing the crash.

Does the issue happen when saving to one specific network location or to all?

Does the issue happen to all Office applications?  How about WordPad, Notepad or Adobe Reader?

Open MSCONFIG (Start button | Run | MSCONFIG), disable all non-microsoft services ( On the services tab, Check hide all Microsoft services and then disable all) and anything in the startup tab that you can disable and reboot.  Does the issue happen there too?

Thanks,

Aaron

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hi William,

I was wondering if you had found a solution during your research?

Thanks,

KG

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I am having the same issues with any MS 2013 document from a mapped drive. Has this been resolved yet?

thanks

Monday, August 18, 2014 5:58 PM