Cut and Run Bug. RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes when I highlight an executable file, click Organize then Cut, the computer performs a Run operation and the Open file security window appears!!!!  This does not happen all the time and the phenomenon can stop and start without my needing to logout or reboot.  However it has happened several times with reboots in between.  Using a right mouse click and selecting Cut from the Properties window does not give rise to this problem.

I am running build 7100 (32 bit) with standard settings.     
    Friday, June 19, 2009 7:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Alan

This a known bug.

Although it is not very prolific, it has been reported often enough to warrant fixing. We haven't received any documentation on the exact cause but the only known fix, which you have already found,  is to perform a clean install when this bug does appear. 

The latest feedback we have is that it is in the pipeline to be fixed in a later build.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:47 PM

All replies

• Alan,

Although I'm a big fan of the name you've coined for this bug, I'm absolutely unable to duplicate this behavior under Windows 7 x64, and I can find no documentation on it. It may be a bug in the 32-bit version of Explorer - if you'd like, you can try to repair any functionality which may have been corrupted by running a System File Checker scan via entering "sfc /scannow" into a Command Prompt. If that doesn't work, you could try loading your Windows 7 install DVD while the computer is running to perform an "in-place upgrade," as if you were upgrading from Windows Vista - this, too, will re-install needed OS components, and sometimes works where SFC fails.
    -Alex
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Not wishing to be rude, Alex but wouldn't it be better to try and duplicate this bug under Windows 7 x32, the same version I am using?  I have Windows 7 x32 build 7100 installed on two computers and they both show this bug!  However, it does not happen all the time or with all executables; I haven't quite worked out which.  The other common factor between both computers is that they are running Kaspersky Antivirus 8.0 (technical preview for Windows 7) so that could be involved.  And I have now found clicking Copy has the same effect.  Try this:

1. Download Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 (file O2kSp3.exe) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5C011C70-47D0-4306-9FA4-8E92D36332FE&displaylang=en I am just using this file as an example because not all executables seem to show the anomalous behaviour but this one does! 
    2. Place it in your (My) Documents folder
    3. Click the file once to highlight it
    4. Click Organize, then Cut (or Copy) 
    5. The Open file- security warning window opens asking if you want to run the file.  

Alan

Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Alan,

It absolutely would be better if I had an x86 installing of Windows 7 test from, and I apologize for implying that such an unexpected bug would behave similarly across both environments, but what I said above stands - I can't find a word of documentation on it. As things stand, I'd absolutely recommend uninstalling Kapersky as a test (disabling it can still leave some components in memory which might contribute to this error). You can always reinstall it afterwards if the behavior persists.
    -Alex
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Hi,
    I have tried to duplicate your problem on a Windows 7 RC x86 (7100 build) and have been unable to do so. I even downloaded that Office 2000 file and everything works normally.
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:35 PM
  • I had two computers both showing the bug.  One was a laptop with an Intel processor and the other a desktop with an AMD processor so not that much hardware commonality between the two.  What they did have in common was:
         I had used the same disk to install both copies of Windows 7
         Both were running the technical preview version of Kaspersky
         I'm not big on tweaking and personalizing Windows but the minor changes I had made were likely to be common to both machines.  For example, I hate the option to hide extensions for known file types and always disable it.

So, on the laptop I
         Uninstalled Kaspersky - bug remained
         Uninstalled the other three programs shown under Programs - bug remained
         Restored thte computer to the earliest available restore point - bug remained

I decided to approach the problem from the other direction and re-installed Windows 7 on the laptop after formatting the partition - bug gone
         Updated Windows 7 and rebooted - bug still gone
         Installed Chrome and rebooted  - bug still gone
         Installed Kaspersky and rebooted - bug still gone
         Updated Kaspersky and rebooted - bug still gone

So, seemingly I have eliminated all likely causes of this bug.  Somehow it found its way onto both my computers but I cannot get it back after starting again from scratch.  I'm open to ideas.

Alan 
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:18 PM
  • After successfully eliminating this bug on one computer by a complete wipe and re-install, I thought I would try an "in-place upgrade" on the other, as suggested by Alex ('axfelix') in his first reply.  I did this after first uninstalling the Kaspersky Antivirus (to play safe).

It did not work - the cut and run bug remains!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Unfortunately for me this bug has appeared and I do not know what I did to cause it. It showed up to me because I have a MD5 program in the context menu that lets me check the hash on files. All of a sudden on .exe files, it tries to execute them as opposed to finding the hash. I then checked the Organize, cut scenario and it yielded the results you posted. I tried a system restore back as far as I could and no change. I gues I'll have to live with it for awhile.

Paul
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Hi Alan

This a known bug.

Although it is not very prolific, it has been reported often enough to warrant fixing. We haven't received any documentation on the exact cause but the only known fix, which you have already found,  is to perform a clean install when this bug does appear. 

The latest feedback we have is that it is in the pipeline to be fixed in a later build.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Nice of you to join in; I was getting lonely as seemingly the only person ever to have experienced this bug.  All I can really tell you so far is that (in my experience) using an "in-place upgrade" to re-install Windows 7 does not fix this bug.

Alan 
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Tried the steps. Exactly the same result as Alan describes. No Kaspersky or other visible interference anywhere. (To be honest, it never happened to me in any other occasion.) Addition: If I right-click on the file and select "cut", nothing happens at all. 2d addition: "Copy/Paste" works. Must be a special test file. 
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    • Edited by Sanmartin Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:43 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Hi Sanmartin, welcome to the club!  And thanks for the suggestion, derosnec

Nothing out of the ordinary in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe that I can see.  The corresponding registry entry in Vista is exactly the same.

A file that will cut/copy normally is kavwks8.0.0.1081en.exe (which is the Kaspersky beta installation file).  If I rename the file to make the name something simpler like kavwks.exe that makes no odds.  But O2kSp3.exe (the Office 2K SP3 installation file) always shows the bug.

Alan 

Edit: I said in my original post that I did not think the bug happened all the time but I now think that was wrong, just that it does not apply to all executable files and this gave me the wrong impression until I became more rigorous about which files I used to test for the bug.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:51 PM
  • I am please to see that Ronnie Vernon MVP has now replied to my original post confirming that this is a known bug.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Just an update. This problem continues in the Windows 7 RTM.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:26 AM